[SOLVED} My two GEMs have the same serial number now...

Ask questions about the GEM here.
fryfrog

[SOLVED} My two GEMs have the same serial number now...

Post by fryfrog » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:40 pm

Some how *both* of my GEMs have the same serial number, that of one of them. I'm not sure how long it has been like this. If I put one into setup mode, the data from the other gets through. I believe I have the device's old serial in my dashbox because it has the other one's serial number. Searching for how to set the serial number of a device just turns up an older post where someone noticed a similar issue, but seemed to get a new random serial instead of an existing one.

Last edited by fryfrog on Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ben
Site Admin

Re: My two GEMs have the same serial number now...

Post by ben » Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:43 am

Can you email me the uncensored screenshots and a graph or two from the working device?

When the serial numbers get changed on the units it's a completely random serial number and due power fluctuations caused by dying capacitors on very old power supplies (the ones listed on https://www.brultech.com/contact). It would be close to impossible for it to generate the same serial.

Do you happen to have an Ethernet cable and the WiFi connected? I wonder if the WiFi/Ethernet module on the working unit decided to take over both IPs.

Do a search with the GEM Network Utility and see if they share the same MAC Address.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
fryfrog

Post by fryfrog » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:30 pm

I'll email those screenshots when I'm home, thanks!

I don't think one is claiming to be both, but I'll double check that. One is *only* connected via wifi and of course is in STA mode w/ my wifi details, but the other is connected via ethernet and its wifi is in AP mode w/ the "GreenEye" wifi network. I'm actually not sure how to just disable wifi on that one.
fryfrog

Post by fryfrog » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:37 pm

I've sent a bunch of un-redacted screenshots your way. I did confirm that they have very different MACs *and* the live data coming out of the .11 and .12 devices is different so I'm 99% sure one isn't usurping the IP of the other. I can also "disable" them one at a time by entering setup mode and then the dashbox works for the one that is *enabled*. I could probably achieve the same thing by physically unplugging them, which I can do if needed.

Are firmware's *unique*? It is possible that at some point in the past I entered the serial number of *one* device to get to the firmware section... then flashed *both* devices w/ the same one. But it'd be crazy to have unique firmwares by serial and include the serial *in* the firmware, right?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:07 am

Sent over the PDF to change serial numbers.

The serial number in the F/W section is just a loose check to make sure you have a unit.

My guess is it wasn't pushed to memory and was being held in violatile memory via the super cap. At some point the super cap likely drained and pulled the old S/N from memory.

If you follow the steps in the PDF it'll push it to memory.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
fryfrog

Post by fryfrog » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:39 pm

Hey ben,

I don't see an email or forum private message, how'd you send the pdf?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:32 pm

fryfrog wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:39 pm
Hey ben,

I don't see an email or forum private message, how'd you send the pdf?
Ah, wonder if it got flagged as spam or something.

Forwarded via a hotmail address.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
fryfrog

Post by fryfrog » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:51 pm

I finally got around to doing this and your solution worked a treat, thanks for the help.