Inaccurate solar data

Ask questions about the GEM here.
tiredinva

Inaccurate solar data

Post by tiredinva » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:03 pm

I have 2 100 AMP Split CT's connected to solar panels lines being fed on the load side to my panel. They're connected to independent channels (17 and 30)

The GEMs are displaying data but it looks to be significantly lower than what my solar panels are reporting.
For example my daily production yesterday according to the solar panels was 114 kwh. According to the GEM I produced 20.41 kwh and 13.55 kwh during the same period.
Instantaneous wattage (live data) show 2150 and 5752 watts in the GEM while the solar inverter shows I'm generating 10.9 kw at that same moment.

Not sure how to go about troubleshooting, would appreciate any pointers. The CT's are set to correct type and I'm not having inaccurate readings on other channels (as far as I can tell)

Note: I don't have net metering enabled yet, I wanted to get the individual numbers correct before moving onto more complex configurations
ben
Site Admin

Re: Inaccurate solar data

Post by ben » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:58 pm

What inverter display are you comparing it to?

Does it happen to show amperages? If so, check if the live amperage readings are similar.

I would enable net metering right away, it'll show the difference between generation and use. There's a separate counter on each channel that counts generation only.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
tiredinva

Post by tiredinva » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:38 am

A majority of the inaccuracy was my fault (user error). One of the split CT's had opened. After reinstalling it, I'm getting about 5% or so variance from what my solaredge inverter is reporting. I presume I'd need to double check the PT and then dial in the SPLIT-100 CT's to get more accurate values?

To enable NET Metering,
  • I flipped the polarity of the solar channels in the GEM setup. In dashbox it still shows positive values (on the live data screen and summary screen).
  • In the dashbox setup I marked those same channels as NET.
Should I be doing the same for the MAINS as well. I want to be able to distinguish between total consumption (my actual power usage) and net consumption (total - solar). Is there a way to distinguish

My solar system is connected line-side (prior to my panel). My main panel CT's are after the solar tap so are giving me the actual power consumption
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:21 pm

tiredinva wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:38 am
A majority of the inaccuracy was my fault (user error). One of the split CT's had opened. After reinstalling it, I'm getting about 5% or so variance from what my solaredge inverter is reporting. I presume I'd need to double check the PT and then dial in the SPLIT-100 CT's to get more accurate values?

To enable NET Metering,
  • I flipped the polarity of the solar channels in the GEM setup. In dashbox it still shows positive values (on the live data screen and summary screen).
  • In the dashbox setup I marked those same channels as NET.
Should I be doing the same for the MAINS as well. I want to be able to distinguish between total consumption (my actual power usage) and net consumption (total - solar). Is there a way to distinguish

My solar system is connected line-side (prior to my panel). My main panel CT's are after the solar tap so are giving me the actual power consumption
The 5% could be generation vs use.

When you enable NET it creates a new channel called <Channel Name> Gen. That's the channel you need to look at for net metered values. Compare that to what your inverter is showing.

You'll need to enable it for Mains also if you're selling thru your mains.

If you take Mains (not Gen) and group it with Solar Gen I think that should give you total usage.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com