USB Power / PT

Ask questions about the GEM here.
tiredinva

USB Power / PT

Post by tiredinva » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:30 am

I just setup my GEMs (two of them). I'm getting correct values (I think) using the included Potential Transformer + Power Adapter. I want to switch over to using USB due to a limited number of power outlets near the GEMs. Reading through the documentation USB can be used as a replacement for both. When I power up with a USB connection the measured voltage is 0.1 to 0.4 volts in the live data page and correspondingly the wattage numbers are all wrong (pretty much zero). Is there a configuration that needs to be done to enable the USB cable to act as dual power source / Potential Transformer or do I need a special 110volt to USB adapter?
I currently have the USB + Potential transformer plugged in which is sort of working but not exactly how it's supposed to operate.
ben
Site Admin

Re: USB Power / PT

Post by ben » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:15 am

tiredinva wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:30 am
I just setup my GEMs (two of them). I'm getting correct values (I think) using the included Potential Transformer + Power Adapter. I want to switch over to using USB due to a limited number of power outlets near the GEMs. Reading through the documentation USB can be used as a replacement for both. When I power up with a USB connection the measured voltage is 0.1 to 0.4 volts in the live data page and correspondingly the wattage numbers are all wrong (pretty much zero). Is there a configuration that needs to be done to enable the USB cable to act as dual power source / Potential Transformer or do I need a special 110volt to USB adapter?
I currently have the USB + Potential transformer plugged in which is sort of working but not exactly how it's supposed to operate.
We don't have a combo adapter yet. The PT requires AC voltage while the Micros run on DC.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
tiredinva

Post by tiredinva » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:18 am

So, for now the correct path is to have both USB and the PT plugged in. I'm ok with it, just wanted to confirm.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:19 am

tiredinva wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:18 am
So, for now the correct path is to have both USB and the PT plugged in. I'm ok with it, just wanted to confirm.
Yeah, UL certification is the big hold-up, we could likely get someone to design one for us but UL would be excessively expensive.

Something like this should work: https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Plug-Outle ... B0B92ZVBHX
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com