Gem lights after power failure restart

Ask questions about the GEM here.
dbreiser

Gem lights after power failure restart

Post by dbreiser » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:38 pm

I had to do some work on an outlet in the circuit powering my Dashbox and Gem. After turning the power back on, the Dashbox came up stuck (solid green status light, but no comms to my computer). A dashbox reboot fixed that, but then I discovered my GEM came back up at 19200 baud. When I set the dashbox to talk at 19200, I started getting data to the dashbox again. But since the GEM setup strongly encourages 115200 baud, I fixed that on the Gem and dashbox. My question is what do the GEM LED sequences mean?

Dashbox is hard wired to ethernet and Comm1 serial to GEM comm 2. GEM is serial only.

Right GEM LED is solid green in all cases.

Before the power cycle, the left GEM LED would blip red very quickly once per data packet, and otherwise be solid green.

While I had the data running at 19200 baud, the left LED did:
fast red blip (same as the usual behavior before)
green
red
green
red
off
green
repeat

Now that I'm back at 115200 baud, the cycle is:
red
green
red
long green
repeat (no sign of the fast blip I'd been associating with data packet transfer)

The reds are shorter than they were at 19200 comm rate, but much longer than the usual blip for a data packet.

Should I be looking for something else to reset in the GEM setup? I appear to be getting data normally. But the extra red flashes has me concerned.

Dave
ben
Site Admin

Re: Gem lights after power failure restart

Post by ben » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:58 am

Do you have a secondary packet format enabled?

The off sequence at 19200 is because it can't detect the Ethernet module when sending a packet. It goes away at 115200 because it can at that rate.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
dbreiser

Post by dbreiser » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:19 pm

Both Primary Packet Format and Secondary Packet Format are set to Bin-48-NET-Time. I don't remember setting a secondary format -- but my memory is untrustworthy that far back in time.
I do have a WeatherFlow Tempest connected. But I don't remember setting a packet format for that (just the Enabled check box in Weather setup in Dashbox settings).
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:21 pm

dbreiser wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:19 pm
Both Primary Packet Format and Secondary Packet Format are set to Bin-48-NET-Time. I don't remember setting a secondary format -- but my memory is untrustworthy that far back in time.
I do have a WeatherFlow Tempest connected. But I don't remember setting a packet format for that (just the Enabled check box in Weather setup in Dashbox settings).
The secondary packet format is your 2nd red flash on the GEM. Each red flash indicates a packet leaving.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
dbreiser

Post by dbreiser » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:29 pm

Since I'm not sending data anywhere but the Dashbox, is there any reason not to disable the secondary data packet format?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:36 pm

dbreiser wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:29 pm
Since I'm not sending data anywhere but the Dashbox, is there any reason not to disable the secondary data packet format?
Nope, it'll use the same format on COM2 as COM1 if you disable it.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.