Power supply for the 2xGEM/Dashbox

Ask questions about the GEM here.
xcore

Power supply for the 2xGEM/Dashbox

Post by xcore » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:40 pm

Hi,

I'm installing 2x GEM devices + 1x dashbox + small sprinkler controller (OpenSprinkler) into an enclusure, and I'm interested in limiting the number of power supplies/adapters.

Now I have:
* 3x 5VDC 2A supplies for GEMs/Dashbox,
* 2x 12VAC 0.4A transformers for GEMs (PTs)
* 1x 24VAC 1.25A transformer for sprinklers.

Is there a recommended PSU(s) for GEM/Dashbox, so I could wire them all to 1 or 2 boxes?
Ideally I'd like to have a single box for all 5VDC/12VAC/24VAC, but even having per-voltage box is good enough, so I could go from 6 supplies to only 3.

Found this on amazon for 5VDC, it says 6A and will likely work just fine.

edited/added: Can I also use single PT for both GEMs? I understand they do not really consume much, so will it make difference if I use same 12VAC/400mA transformer for both units at once?

I could solder it all right and polarity/connectors will be used as designed originally.

What do you think?

Thank you.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Power supply for the 2xGEM/Dashbox

Post by ben » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:25 pm

If the GEMs are just base models you should be able to power them all from 1 5VDC 2A supply.

- DashBox, 1.5A recommended.
- GEM with WiFi/Ethernet, 1A recommended
- GEM base model, 250mA should be sufficient.

You should be able to use the same PT on both GEMs. It's not used to power anything, just for sampling.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
xcore

Post by xcore » Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:56 pm

Hi,

I was using the 6A PSU I posted previously, with no issues except GEMs and Dashboard were not power reserved. Now I switched to the PoE splitter with 5V output option:

(TrendNet TPE-104GS)

Make sure to select correct voltage and tape the voltage selector switch. Also make sure you don't switch your switch port to PoE before unplugging the dashbox. IDK about dashbox specifically, but some gear don't like PoE power and have a habit of dying if PoE is applied to them.

My switch is reporting the load from 3.5W to 4.5W on the PoE port, so splitter works fine. Splitter itself is rated for 5V 2A (10W).
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:27 pm

i am using this using UBS to plug for the Brultech stuff