GEMs initially send data then stop

Ask questions about the GEM here.
lard-afore-harvest

GEMs initially send data then stop

Post by lard-afore-harvest » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:43 pm

-My setup includes a dashbox, home assistant, and two GEMs all purchased in 2022.
-GEMs where sending data to Home Assistant pretty reliably for several months
-I recently noticed that the data in home assistant was stale. Sometime minutes but usually hours.
-If I log into the GEM (port 8000), enter setup mode, and then exit, data starts flowing but only temporarily
-I was thinking it was an issue with Home Assistant so I decided to troubleshoot using the dashbox
-I set the GEMs up to send data to the Dashbox (Realtime ON, HTTP GET, both GEMs using port 80 in the Network Module)
-I'm getting similar behaviour that I was getting with HA - initial packet gets received then stops, if I login to the GEM, enter and exit setup then I get another packet. But only from one GEM at a time although they are identified correctly by serial # in the Dashbox

This makes me think that something is going on with the GEMs but it's just an incredible coincidence that it would happen to both at the same time. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
lard-afore-harvest

Re: GEMs initially send data then stop

Post by lard-afore-harvest » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:28 am

I decided to connect one of the GEMs to the Dashbox using a serial cable and strangely enough... I'm experiencing the very same problem although. There are exactly two packets received and then nothing.
lard-afore-harvest

Post by lard-afore-harvest » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:56 am

So my saga continues. Looks like the two GEMs have COM Firmware 5.42. So based on some of the posts in the forum I tried to downgrade to 5.39 but I can't get the process to finish. It times out anywhere from 2% to around 40%. I've tried recovery mode but I don't think it's doing anything since the GEM is permanently in recovery mode right now. I'm using GEM Network Utility (8.01) over wifi. I can get to the server on Port 80 and I can connect to the GEM via the utility and I can see the left LED flickering when the upgrade process is happening. Thoughts? I have a second GEM but I don't want to risk bricking it until I've figured out the process with this one. Should I be trying an RS-232 to USB cable on COM2 instead of Wifi?
lard-afore-harvest

Post by lard-afore-harvest » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:35 pm

So it turns out the bulk of the issues were due to my environment and I'll leave these posts up in case they help others. There is an IDS/Monitoring system running on the same network that was hitting port 8000 of the GEMs on a regular basis and that was causing the symptoms including the timeout and inability to update the firmware. But after downgrading from 5.42 to 5.39 the serial connection to the Dashbox that was previously working no longer works :-( How can I get firmware 5.42 back again since it can't be downloaded?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:21 pm

lard-afore-harvest wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:35 pm
So it turns out the bulk of the issues were due to my environment and I'll leave these posts up in case they help others. There is an IDS/Monitoring system running on the same network that was hitting port 8000 of the GEMs on a regular basis and that was causing the symptoms including the timeout and inability to update the firmware. But after downgrading from 5.42 to 5.39 the serial connection to the Dashbox that was previously working no longer works :-( How can I get firmware 5.42 back again since it can't be downloaded?
I'm back in the office. Posted 5.42 on the software website now.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
lard-afore-harvest

Post by lard-afore-harvest » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Thank you. 5.42 resolved my issues with the serial connection.