Can't seem to connect to GEM or Dashbox?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
AllenM

Can't seem to connect to GEM or Dashbox?

Post by AllenM » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:10 pm

Hello everybody, bought my GEM and Dashbox around 2013 and didn't use it too much but decided now I want to use it with Home Assistant, only problem is I can connect after making some IP changes and I'm not sure what's wrong, possibly hardware failure of some sort?

I did lots of reading, and people mentioned the failing power supplies, I replaced them with a 5V 2.5 amp and also have the 12v one which seems fine.

The GEM has two GREEN lights after it boots up, the ethernet port light is solid green, and the orange is flashing.

The Dashbox has one solid red light and ethernet port lights are opposite of the Gem, the orange light is flashing rapidly, and the green is solid.

The last time I used the devices IP's were 192.168.1.40 and 192.168.1.41 from what I recall, I did a search today, and I saw the GEM come back with this

gem net utility.png
gem net utility.png (35.81 KiB) Viewed 26115 times

It would drop the connection right away, so I changed my ethernet adapter to

adapter config.png
adapter config.png (33.56 KiB) Viewed 26115 times

I am now connected, but when it was connected it say it couldn't get the serial and then timed out, I went to the network tab and search and see this error

serial fail gem.png
serial fail gem.png (19.46 KiB) Viewed 26115 times
network scan-gemutil.png
network scan-gemutil.png (39.08 KiB) Viewed 26115 times

I also used the Device Discovery tool, and I saw this

bruletch device discovery.png
bruletch device discovery.png (57.48 KiB) Viewed 26115 times

When I run an IP scan with my machine configured in the same range as the GEM I only see it at .2 and my machine at .20, I imagine I don't see the Dash box because its via a serial connection.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have a feeling after reading other posts that perhaps the SD card is bad on the Dashbox, my only hope is that all the named feeds actually reside on the GEM and not the Dashbox, I would hate to have to take apart my panel to figure that all out, though they are labelled somewhat on my breakers I think I had things named better in the GEM or Dash when I had it running.

**I should also mention my GEM is the one with the Ethernet board and its a black board and the Dash has a silver case if that means anything, purchased sometime in 2013.

Forgive me if I'm a bit behind on everything. Lots can happen in a decade but I still have my setup and, if possible, would like to get it running again.

Thanks again in advance for any advice you can offer.
AllenM

Re: Can't seem to connect to GEM or Dashbox?

Post by AllenM » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:57 pm

Since my post I changed the IP back to my range and changed port to 8000, I then got to the login page and it asked for a password and I don't recall ever setting one, I did for the dash and it didn't work. I reset the password in the GEM Network utility and came back to login and pressed enter with a blank password and got back in
gem-cts.png
gem-cts.png (109.74 KiB) Viewed 26109 times
Things are updating so I guess that's a good sign! I checked the status page and I see this
gem status.jpeg
gem status.jpeg (57.74 KiB) Viewed 26109 times
I imagine I will have to upgrade the firmware, its been almost 10 years...haha.

I still have no idea whats up with the Dashbox or how to speak with it, I don't seem to see the names or anything I had for the channels so possibly that is lost.

I did find the IP the Dash was at previously and the MAC, I've changed patch panels and switches over the years so possibly it's disconnected from my network so I will test that next.

I'm impressed its been running since 2013 and is still outputting data! I totally understand the Dash SD card may be pooched but I'm not too worried about the data or anything, if I can possibly recover the channel names that would help or I'll recreate them.

Do I still use GEM Network Utility to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks again!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:27 am

Check your power supply versus the notice at https://www.brultech.com/contact.

The memory on the GEM looks to be corrupted and that is usually a sign of the bad power supply.

I'd get a new 5VDC supply then do a factory reset via the GEM Network Utility, update the Firmware via the GEM Network Utility (COM first) and set the CTs back up after.

The DashBox may have the same power supply, check that also. Let me know the status of the LED on the front of the unit.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
AllenM

Post by AllenM » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Ben, I did swap out the stock power supply on the GEM with a 5V one, but its 2.5 amps. I will order two proper power supplies and do the reset and the firmware after I get them.

The LED to the right of the Ethernet port is solid red, the power supply on my Dash is 5V 1.0 amp, I don't think I ever changed it.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:53 am

AllenM wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:27 pm
Thanks for the quick reply Ben, I did swap out the stock power supply on the GEM with a 5V one, but its 2.5 amps. I will order two proper power supplies and do the reset and the firmware after I get them.

The LED to the right of the Ethernet port is solid red, the power supply on my Dash is 5V 1.0 amp, I don't think I ever changed it.
2.5A is fine. the 5VDC is the important part.

Try the 2.5A supply on your DashBox to see if it works after.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
AllenM

Post by AllenM » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:50 pm

I can't try the 2.5A supply on the Dash because on the GEM I am using a the PT/POWER with a mini-usb that is pushing 2.5, I think I read that was ok and hope that's not part of my problem. Before I used this power supply I couldn't even see it online.

I already ordered to new 5V supplies with proper barrel size and they should arrive in the next few days and I will update you.

Thanks again for the support Ben!
AllenM

Post by AllenM » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm

Hi Ben, I did manage to get two new power supplied for the GEM and Dash and and upgraded the GEM to Com ver 5.39 and ENG Ver 1.49.

I currently have the the wire to connect the Dash to GEM as follows

Dash Com1----> Gem COM2

I believe this is how it was connected prior to me not using it for a while.

At this time the Dash has a ethernet connection to one of my switches and it works, I have a solid amber and rapidly flashing green on the Dash ethernet port and the power light is reddish orange however I can't seem to see the Dash at all on my network, I have many devices and I pretty well know what they all are but the Dash doesn't seem to be on the network?

I can see the GEM of course and the hardware vendor is Wiznet but should the Dash also show a hardware vendor when I do a port scan?

**Before I had all the problems with the Dash box years ago you had to login remotely and repair the database or something, it constantly had problems so maybe the memory card is bad?

Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated.

My plan is to use this with Home Assistant so I imagine I for sure need the Dashbox for that?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:27 pm

AllenM wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:56 pm
Hi Ben, I did manage to get two new power supplied for the GEM and Dash and and upgraded the GEM to Com ver 5.39 and ENG Ver 1.49.

I currently have the the wire to connect the Dash to GEM as follows

Dash Com1----> Gem COM2

I believe this is how it was connected prior to me not using it for a while.

At this time the Dash has a ethernet connection to one of my switches and it works, I have a solid amber and rapidly flashing green on the Dash ethernet port and the power light is reddish orange however I can't seem to see the Dash at all on my network, I have many devices and I pretty well know what they all are but the Dash doesn't seem to be on the network?

I can see the GEM of course and the hardware vendor is Wiznet but should the Dash also show a hardware vendor when I do a port scan?

**Before I had all the problems with the Dash box years ago you had to login remotely and repair the database or something, it constantly had problems so maybe the memory card is bad?

Any ideas on how to fix would be appreciated.

My plan is to use this with Home Assistant so I imagine I for sure need the Dashbox for that?
Check the back of the DashBox to see if the MicroSD card is missing (might be behind the back case cover). If the LED on the DashBox is red it sounds like it's stuck booting.

You can hook up Home-Assistant via your Ethernet module on the GEM.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
AllenM

Post by AllenM » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:27 pm

I opened it up and the card is in the card slot on the small white PCB, I popped it out and popped it back in. I plugged in the power cable, ethernet and com and the red light comes on instantly and then I see the ethernet lights after about 10-15 seconds. The light stays red.

I can try to connect the GEM to HA later today.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 am

AllenM wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:27 pm
I opened it up and the card is in the card slot on the small white PCB, I popped it out and popped it back in. I plugged in the power cable, ethernet and com and the red light comes on instantly and then I see the ethernet lights after about 10-15 seconds. The light stays red.

I can try to connect the GEM to HA later today.
Send me an email, likely the MicroSD card has gone on it and it needs a new one given the age of the unit.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.