New GEM and Dashbox not talking to each other

Ask questions about the GEM here.
david81

New GEM and Dashbox not talking to each other

Post by david81 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:14 am

So, I finally got around to installing the GEM and Dashbox that arrived a couple months ago and everything seemed to go pretty smoothly except I can't seem to get the Dashbox to talk to the GEM.

Both are connected via ethernet and I can login to both via their web interfaces (had to reset the GEM Wifi/Ethernet module to get it to pull an IP). I've only got one channel connected so far, but the GEM is showing data in the live view. I think I've followed the guides for setup, but honestly, it was getting pretty late and things weren't working so I just started changing settings to try and get it to work :)

Here's where things stand now.

Dashbox settings page

GEM Packet Setup

GEM Adv Tab

GEM Status Page

STS Cable Connections (sorry for the blur)

I'm hoping it's something simple that I've just overlooked in my weariness last night. Thoughts on where to go next here?
ben
Site Admin

Re: New GEM and Dashbox not talking to each other

Post by ben » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:21 pm

Check Settings->System->Change Baudrates to see if there's anything showing up there.

Update to the latest DashBox FW: https://brultech.com/software/

Try either http://dashbox-ip:8001/ or http://dashbox-ip:8002/ (RS232 #1 or RS232 #2) to see if you can pull the GEM Setup Webpage.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
david81

Post by david81 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks Ben. I'm at work currently, but can confirm that I did update to the latest available firmware on the Dashbox as one of the Hail Mary attempts last night. I'll verify the other items when I get home this evening.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:18 pm

ben wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:21 pm
Check Settings->System->Change Baudrates to see if there's anything showing up there.

Update to the latest DashBox FW: https://brultech.com/software/

Try either http://dashbox-ip:8001/ or http://dashbox-ip:8002/ (RS232 #1 or RS232 #2) to see if you can pull the GEM Setup Webpage.
We had a couple GEMs go out with a COM F/W version that had an issue sending packets on COM2 if Secondary Packet Format was disabled. Set your Secondary Packet Format to Bin-48 to test it out. If that's the issue then ty downgrading to COM 5.39 at https://brultech.com/software/files/getsoft/1/1 under the firmware section.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
david81

Post by david81 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:59 pm

Baud rate appears to be set correctly. Interestingly on that page it does seem to see "something" on port 1

Setting the Secondary Packet to Bin-48

Hitting the dashbox_url:8001/8002 yielded nothing (ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE), unfortunately.

I noticed my COM FW version is higher that the one currently available for download. Should I try downgrading at this point?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:01 am

david81 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:59 pm
Baud rate appears to be set correctly. Interestingly on that page it does seem to see "something" on port 1

Setting the Secondary Packet to Bin-48

Hitting the dashbox_url:8001/8002 yielded nothing (ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE), unfortunately.

I noticed my COM FW version is higher that the one currently available for download. Should I try downgrading at this point?
Unknown Device is a good sign. Click "Save" on the Baud Rates to make sure they're at 115200 and reboot the DashBox. Check that page again after.

There was some issues in old DashBox Firmware with RS232 #1 that would cause some baud rate issues. Given they sat for a bit you might've had that firmware before you updated.

You can also try putting it on RS232 #2, that port should be unaffected. The issue has to do with an RF module we've implemented on RS232 #1.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
david81

Post by david81 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:56 pm

When I got home today, I rebooted everything (just for good measure, because you never know...) and the Baud Rate page on the DB was back to saying "no device detected". I tried downgrading COM firmware to 5.39. Nada. Set the baud rate on the DB again, just for kicks. Nada. I moved to RS232 #2 on the DB, same. I swapped the STS connection on the GEM side to COM 1 (TX only) and I was back to the "unknown device" message again.

After another reset of both systems, the baud rate status page is showing "no device detected" again. I can't seem to find a pattern to this yet. What other troubleshooting steps can I take to try and narrow down the cause?

EDIT:
I tried connecting with the GEM Network Utility and checking out the debug tab to take a look at the packets. When set to BIN 48, gobbledy-gook, as expected. Set COM 1 format to JSON and got the following.

Code: Select all

POST /index.php/ecmEngine/greeneye  HTTP/1.1
Host: 
Accept: */*
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 83

{"e_1":476842051,"z_1":0,"a_1":18.84,"volt":121.2,"sec":172088,"serial":XXXXXXX}
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:56 am

david81 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:56 pm
When I got home today, I rebooted everything (just for good measure, because you never know...) and the Baud Rate page on the DB was back to saying "no device detected". I tried downgrading COM firmware to 5.39. Nada. Set the baud rate on the DB again, just for kicks. Nada. I moved to RS232 #2 on the DB, same. I swapped the STS connection on the GEM side to COM 1 (TX only) and I was back to the "unknown device" message again.

After another reset of both systems, the baud rate status page is showing "no device detected" again. I can't seem to find a pattern to this yet. What other troubleshooting steps can I take to try and narrow down the cause?

EDIT:
I tried connecting with the GEM Network Utility and checking out the debug tab to take a look at the packets. When set to BIN 48, gobbledy-gook, as expected. Set COM 1 format to JSON and got the following.

Code: Select all

POST /index.php/ecmEngine/greeneye  HTTP/1.1
Host: 
Accept: */*
Content-Type: application/json
Content-Length: 83

{"e_1":476842051,"z_1":0,"a_1":18.84,"volt":121.2,"sec":172088,"serial":XXXXXXX}
That's weird. I see that COM1 Flow Control is on for some reason. Turn that off, that'll cause a ton of issues as the CTS/RTS pins are left floating.

Check the packet formats and everything after too.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
david81

Post by david81 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:19 am

I'd noticed the flow control thing, as well, and turned it off during troubleshooting yesterday. So it was off for the most recent round.

I don't have anything to hookup directly to the GEM to monitor the serial output currently, but I'm planning to use a RPi to handle HomeAssistant integration, so I'll get a MAX232 board ordered and build a cable to connect and see if I can eliminate one side of the equation that way.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:14 am

david81 wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:19 am
I'd noticed the flow control thing, as well, and turned it off during troubleshooting yesterday. So it was off for the most recent round.

I don't have anything to hookup directly to the GEM to monitor the serial output currently, but I'm planning to use a RPi to handle HomeAssistant integration, so I'll get a MAX232 board ordered and build a cable to connect and see if I can eliminate one side of the equation that way.
I misread the message. That JSON packet is fine. You have to config the channels via the Data Post page to send more channels.

I'm starting to suspect the STS cable.

- Remove the STS cable from the GEM
- Twist/touch the Tx/Rx lines together
- Open the GEM Network Utility
- Connect via TCP Client to the DashBox IP Port: 8001 (RS232 #1) or Port: 8002 (RS232 #2)
- Go to the Debug tab
- Put anything into the left boxes and click send

It should repeat back exactly what you send. If it doesn't, try other combinations (black/red, etc).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.