New GEM and Dashbox not talking to each other

Ask questions about the GEM here.
david81

Re: New GEM and Dashbox not talking to each other

Post by david81 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:47 pm

STS cable appears to check out. Red+White clipped together with an alligator clip, connected to DB on port 8002 and got an echo back of messages sent via the debug tab. I'll have a USB-to-Serial adapter here on Sunday (thanks Amazon Prime) so I'll be able to check out the GEM side of things a bit more closely then.
david81

Post by david81 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:22 pm

Broke out the multimeter and tested continuity of the STS cable. Everything seems to check out there. Starting from the tip it's Red->White->Black.

Serial adapter came in and it's currently connected to the Pi out in the garage to I can SSH in without freezing :) The Pi is intended to run brultech-serial2mqtt, but since it's an original B+, docker is out of the question. I'm attempting to run it directly, but having some issues there. I assume it's related to my setup on the Pi, but I'm not sure yet. Is there a good way to validate the BIN formats with a direct serial connection? If I switch over to any text based format I can watch the packets roll in via screen, but the binary formats, of course, just confirm that a packet was received.

EDIT: I installed aiobrultech-serial and used the dump.py example to check out the binary packets and that seems to check out. Pi connected to COM2 via USB-Serial adapter. Packet format set to BIN48 Net-Time on COM1, nothing for COM2.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 am

david81 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:22 pm
Broke out the multimeter and tested continuity of the STS cable. Everything seems to check out there. Starting from the tip it's Red->White->Black.

Serial adapter came in and it's currently connected to the Pi out in the garage to I can SSH in without freezing :) The Pi is intended to run brultech-serial2mqtt, but since it's an original B+, docker is out of the question. I'm attempting to run it directly, but having some issues there. I assume it's related to my setup on the Pi, but I'm not sure yet. Is there a good way to validate the BIN formats with a direct serial connection? If I switch over to any text based format I can watch the packets roll in via screen, but the binary formats, of course, just confirm that a packet was received.

EDIT: I installed aiobrultech-serial and used the dump.py example to check out the binary packets and that seems to check out. Pi connected to COM2 via USB-Serial adapter. Packet format set to BIN48 Net-Time on COM1, nothing for COM2.
Everything looks OK. Last thing we can check out is the GEM Adv page in the Setup Webpage.

The "Not enough data in buffet yet" makes me wonder if there's a bad data packing value in there.

After you send that:

- Connect back up via STS cable to the DashBox.
- Go to http://dashbox-ip/index.php/pages/settings/clearMemory
- Go to Settings->System->Change Baudrates
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
david81

Post by david81 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:47 pm

Here's the current Adv tab

Is there something I should be changing here?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:15 pm

All looks good, packet chunk is the only thing that could limit packet size there.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
david81

Post by david81 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:37 pm

ben wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 am

After you send that:

Reconnected the STS cable from COM2 to RS232 #2. Cleared memory. Baud rates page shows no device detected
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:44 pm

david81 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:37 pm
ben wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:56 am

After you send that:

Reconnected the STS cable from COM2 to RS232 #2. Cleared memory. Baud rates page shows no device detected
Remove Tx/Rx and make sure you still get the echo back over Port 8002.

You can also try http://dashbox-ip:8002/ to see if it pulls the GEM Setup Webpage.

If you can get the echo back but can't pull the webpage, try swapping the Tx/Rx wires on COM2.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
david81

Post by david81 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:02 pm

Well, now I'm not getting an echo back on port 1 or 2.... :(
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:42 am

david81 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:02 pm
Well, now I'm not getting an echo back on port 1 or 2.... :(
Where are you located? I'm thinking you have a loose connection/broken wire in that STS cable. Seems to make the most sense with the issues we've been experiencing.

Send me an email (ben(at)brultech.com).

Given you have a multimeter, if you have/want to pick up a cheap cable and hack your own attached is the diagram.

STS cable connection.png
STS cable connection.png (159.62 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
david81

Post by david81 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:58 am

Well looky there. Thankfully I never throw out a cable, so I grabbed an old audio extension cable from the bin, cut it up, and wired it up.

Thanks for the assist in troubleshooting this.