GEM crash and remote reboot

Ask questions about the GEM here.
turbo

GEM crash and remote reboot

Post by turbo » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:04 pm

Hi all,

My GEM has been running pretty reliably for quite some time but in the past few months shown a tendency to stop sending packets. This happens maybe once a month and seems to occur at random intervals. I don't see a pattern or reason for the GEM to stop responding to pings. In other words, it's fallen off my WiFi network but could still be running normally

For all I know, the GEM could be fine and my WiFi network has dropped the connection. Maybe I'll try rebooting my network next time rather than the GEM.

I'm not able to access the device directly so I use a dumb radio switch to reset the power on the GEM's power plug. It comes back on the network within a minute or two so I know that solves whatever issue it's having. I usually lose data for however long it's down because of this. I don't always spot the outage until hours or even days later.

It seems to me that if the GEM were still running, the data would update when the GEM reconnects to the Dashbox. I don't see that, I see gaps in the reporting for the time period where the GEM stopped responding.

I've done all the usual things, updated the firmware...everything seems copacetic.

What would be useful is a smart plug on the GEM that would ping test the GEM IP# and reset the power if the ping fails for more than 30 minutes. I know that server systems have this type of device, but that's going to be overkill for me. I'm wondering if there's a smart plug or home automation script that could do this. Thanks.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM crash and remote reboot

Post by ben » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:24 pm

Hey turbo,

Have you checked the GEMs power supply versus the notice listed at https://www.brultech.com/contact? It's pretty rare nowadays to find one of those old supplies but we may have a few more out there.

Make sure Flow Control is turned off on the GEM. You can find this setting in the GEM Setup Webpage under Adv.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
turbo

Post by turbo » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the tip. com1 and com2 flow are disabled. I will be sure to check and replace the power adapter...or adaptor...if it seems to be on the hit list.

Todd
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:57 am

turbo wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:28 pm
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the tip. com1 and com2 flow are disabled. I will be sure to check and replace the power adapter...or adaptor...if it seems to be on the hit list.

Todd
You can try enabling COM1 Auto Reset if it's a network issue also. This will reset the WiFi module at a fixed interval so it'll re-establish the network connection.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com