GEM suddenly stops sending data

Ask questions about the GEM here.
jgreene

Re: GEM suddenly stops sending data

Post by jgreene » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:37 am

You should still have access. But it appears that it hasn’t logged a packet in 4 days.
Attachments
CC52BE8D-AFC3-43D6-94F1-E6A97AC0B12C.png
CC52BE8D-AFC3-43D6-94F1-E6A97AC0B12C.png (584.54 KiB) Viewed 7346 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:53 am

Sent an email over.

The RS232 cable btw, are you connected via COM2? If not, make sure you do. If it's on COM1 you're going to have conflicting Rx signals.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:47 pm

Let me check!

I unplug it every time though.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:02 pm

I managed to get this sorted out with the help of Ben so I thought I would post a follow up for anyone that may be following.
Long story short, I have a conflicting IP address on my network that was the same as the GEM.
Long story is:
Back in 2019 I was trying to set up a Linux server to host the database for the DashBox with ambitions of hosting a DashBox kind of website.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1924#p13196
I gave up on it as the DashBox is so much easier and applications like home assistant were not within my radar site and I made the Linux machine a media server and NVR for my security system. About a year ago the machine crashed with some kind of hard drive failure so I just shut it down and bought a NVR from ubiquiti as all their new devices require it.
Everything was fine for the next 7-8 months. About a month ago I rearranged my office which houses all my networking gear and servers and I had left the Linux machine plugged into the UPS even though it was powered off. The UPS was moved and consequently power cycled and unnoticed by me, this powered up the Linux machine. Somehow it managed to heal itself and boot up. I had no network connection plugged into it but it had a Wi-Fi card installed. For whatever reason, it grabbed the same IP address as my GEM. Maybe? A leftover configuration from my 2019 activities? IDK. I had it set up before with a static IP for the NVR but the crash must have removed that.
So, three weeks plus I couldn’t figure out why my GEM and DashBox could no longer communicate.
One day I noticed the power light was on for the Linux machine so I plugged a monitor into it and checked the network settings and saw what was going on. I disabled the Wi-Fi and boom! Everything started working again.
Since the Linux machine was now up and running I ran some disk checks and updated it to Ubuntu V22 and installed Home Assistant running in a Docker Container and reconfigured the GEM to use Wi-Fi to send packets to home assistant and connected the DashBox via the serial port (COM2) and that worked fairly easily so I now have home assistant running with the GEM as well as the DashBox.
Been quite the ride and I want to thank Ben for his patience and help! Especially since it was all my own fault! Lol.