GEM suddenly stops sending data

Ask questions about the GEM here.
jgreene

Re: GEM suddenly stops sending data

Post by jgreene » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:49 pm

I was going to order another 5V power supply just in case but it seems to not be possible to order one from the website?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:26 pm

Send me some screenshots of the Adv page on your GEM. I wonder if you COM1 Auto Reset or No Response is set.

You can try swapping power supplies with the DashBox. I don't think that's the issue though.

If you wanted to pick up a spare just use Amazon, it's one of the most common power supplies (https://www.amazon.com/ALITOVE-100V-240 ... B078RXZM4C for example).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:07 pm

Ok, I actually have a few laying around here but need plugs on the ends. I thought it might be worth a try.
Any more ideas?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:58 am

jgreene wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:07 pm
Ok, I actually have a few laying around here but need plugs on the ends. I thought it might be worth a try.
Any more ideas?
Can you get me the Adv screen screenshots? I'll check every setting in there. You'll likely need to take a couple of them.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:08 pm

Sorry, I somehow missed where you asked me for a ADV screenshot. Here it is.
Attachments
Capture ADV.JPG
Capture ADV.JPG (263.66 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:00 pm

something else that puzzles me, the Dashbox claims it hasn't received a packet from the GEM since 10:48 this morning and looking at my dashboards it only received two packets this morning, one at 10:08 and the second at 10:48am which is around the time I grabbed the screenshot. But if I look at the summary page it appears it has at least received enough to display the total consumption for entire day so far. How is that possible?
Attachments
summary.jpg
summary.jpg (205.22 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
settings.jpg
settings.jpg (192.11 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:04 pm

jgreene wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:00 pm
something else that puzzles me, the Dashbox claims it hasn't received a packet from the GEM since 10:48 this morning and looking at my dashboards it only received two packets this morning, one at 10:08 and the second at 10:48am which is around the time I grabbed the screenshot. But if I look at the summary page it appears it has at least received enough to display the total consumption for entire day so far. How is that possible?
Disable "Reset Wh On Post", I wonder if that's causing it not to post. That's going to mess up every packet.

The 255 Auto Reset is likely doing that. It's resetting the WiFi module around every 68 minutes so you're still getting 1 packet per hour. The reset is similar to when you cycle power to the unit.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:05 pm

ok, that explains the occasional update. I disabled the "Reset Wh on Post" and it didn't help.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:14 pm

another observation:
I notice that on the dashbox the SSLP counter is now updating every 5 seconds. The same interval I set the GEM To send updates. Could the data be getting corrupted some how and even though it is receiving packets, they have some kind of error that prevents them from being parsed and therefore discarded by the Dashbox? The 'Live Data' tab on the settings page doesn't show anything if I click on it.
I need some kind of packet sniffer.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:47 am

jgreene wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:14 pm
another observation:
I notice that on the dashbox the SSLP counter is now updating every 5 seconds. The same interval I set the GEM To send updates. Could the data be getting corrupted some how and even though it is receiving packets, they have some kind of error that prevents them from being parsed and therefore discarded by the Dashbox? The 'Live Data' tab on the settings page doesn't show anything if I click on it.
I need some kind of packet sniffer.
If the SSLP counter is updating every 5 seconds, the packets should be getting logged. If the checksum fails the packet doesn't reach the dashboard.

Check under Settings->System->View Log Files, post a screenshot there.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.