Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM suddenly stops sending data

Post by ben » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:49 pm

jgreene wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:11 pm
Here you go.

Under live data, all the sensors look correct and are updating.
After you remove power, re-check the watt hour counters. This will tell us whether or not the battery is having issues.

If the battery is dead/near dead, the watt hour counters will go to random numbers when power is lost. The battery holds those in violatile memory as it would eat up write cycles on EEPROM.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:12 pm

I replaced the battery just to be sure. So it is brand new. I think it is the first time I've replaced it.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:00 am

jgreene wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:12 pm
I replaced the battery just to be sure. So it is brand new. I think it is the first time I've replaced it.
Keep an eye on the DashBox and see if there's any spiked records that come up.

You can delete that one bad record under Database Maintenance (Settings->System->Database Mantienance) at the bottom. Just select the day/channel and delete the high value.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:44 pm

Um, it’s not communicating with the dash box anymore. Which is why I started this thread. The dash box only seems to receive one packet after a power cycle of the GEM. After that the SSLP counter just keeps incrementing.
However if I look at the summary page, at least the main power seems to update in random times of 15-60 minutes. But the status page shows it hasn’t received anything.
There must be some way of debugging what is wrong? I haven’t recorded any real data in over a month now.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:28 pm

jgreene wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:44 pm
Um, it’s not communicating with the dash box anymore. Which is why I started this thread. The dash box only seems to receive one packet after a power cycle of the GEM. After that the SSLP counter just keeps incrementing.
However if I look at the summary page, at least the main power seems to update in random times of 15-60 minutes. But the status page shows it hasn’t received anything.
There must be some way of debugging what is wrong? I haven’t recorded any real data in over a month now.
Set your packet send interval more aggressively (5 seconds for example). Watch the SYS LED, each red flash is a packet leaving.

Does it just remain green or do the red flashes come every 5 seconds?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm

It flashes red at the packet interval rate.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:19 pm

jgreene wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:05 pm
It flashes red at the packet interval rate.
Any chance you can Port Forward to the DashBox (to port 9500)? If so, shoot me an email and I'll make sure there's nothing going on with the DashBox so we can eliminate that end of things.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:02 pm

Ok, we did this once before a while back. It will be a little while before I can do it but I’ll send you an email when I do.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:21 am

jgreene wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:02 pm
Ok, we did this once before a while back. It will be a little while before I can do it but I’ll send you an email when I do.
Doesn't seem to be on the DashBox-end.

Try changing the GEM to the following config:

- Primary Packet Format: Bin-32-Net

WiFi settings:

- All the same (Server IP: DashBox IP) but change the Remote Port to 8001.

8001/8002 are now setup to take in the binary packets instead of using HTTP Get. It might improve things given the packets are much smaller.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
jgreene

Post by jgreene » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:41 pm

Same problem. Although the Dashbox recognizes it is coming in on port 8001 when the first packet gets sent but then it never receives any packets after that first one. I've attached a video of the LEDs flashing. The update interval is now set for 5 seconds.
Attachments
power debug.mp4
(867.43 KiB) Downloaded 327 times