Plugging in the GEM power supplies to UPS?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
TonyPh12345

Plugging in the GEM power supplies to UPS?

Post by TonyPh12345 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:42 pm

I'm installing a small UPS in the garage to make sure our internet fiber adapter doesn't go offline during power outages.
The short 15-second delay for the standby generator to fire up and transfer over is long enough that the internet fiber tap doesn't restart.
The GEM for my house is in that same spot, so I'm wondering if the data will be wonky if the GEMs two power adapters are plugged into a UPS?

I'm guessing it won't be a big deal when the UPS is not supplying power from battery, but the inexpensive type is doubtful to be full sinewave output, probably more like stepped sine wave "approximation."
Teken

Re: Plugging in the GEM power supplies to UPS?

Post by Teken » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:50 am

From personal experience the GEM will be fine but obviously won’t provide any energy readings while the grid is down or until the generator kicks in.

My GEM’s are on a pure sine wave double conversion UPS’s primarily to offer surge / spike protection vs operation.

A PWM UPS will be fine but you can always perform a hard shut down by pulling the plug to see how the GEM behaves which should be done anyways for validation of operation.

Given your transfer time is only 15 seconds from UPS to Generator I don’t expect to see any problems. A more practical test would be to see how long the new UPS can sustain the connected load.

The most important test is to validate the UPS comes back on line and provides power to the attach load(s) with a completely flat battery.

Many of the cheaper UPS’s will either not power up, or turn on the protected outlet if the battery is not fully charged.

This functional test must be done to understand the real world behaviour of the same. If the UPS also has the ability to communicate to a computer system it’s imperative to test and validate if the UPS does send the email / graceful shut down to the connected computer systems.

If it does great - if not than that computers OS will surely in time become corrupted and crash.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
TonyPh12345

Re: Plugging in the GEM power supplies to UPS?

Post by TonyPh12345 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:58 pm

Yep, the GEM would be feeding zero-load since there is none until the generator spools up. What I don't want to have to deal with though is whatever bootup time lag there might be. I'm really curious to see what happens when the genny slaps the transfer switch over and 8000w of demand + inrush courses from it. The Dashbox and WiFi are all on UPS, too.

Heh... Yeah, that newest UPS is the fifth one in the house. I have them in ranges of 450VA (the new one) to 1000VA (powering all the computers and NASes).

With a spin-up time of 15s, I don't think I'm going to need to worry about capacity.

We've had lots of "unscheduled" tests of dead battery behavior. Of the last six power outages we've had, five of them were multi-hour events. All the UPSes performed admirably to the death, and came online immediately once utility was restored. Luckily, in all of those events, we were home so I could administratively shut down the spinning disks and PCs before the batteries drained. I get about 20 minutes on the computer-serving UPS.