GEM-W PB Button LED sequence does not follow expectations

Ask questions about the GEM here.
markf

GEM-W PB Button LED sequence does not follow expectations

Post by markf » Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 pm

I have a GEM-W and recently changed an SSID password on my network. I lost connectivity with the GEM at that time and have been wanting to access it by putting it into AP mode. My GEM has the PB button on the bottom of the unit. I press and hold this button for about 5 seconds, during which time the SYS LED turns quickly RED, GREEN, OFF, GREEN, RED, OFF, GREEN, and finally YELLOW (green/amber both lit). The COM LED flashes AMBER/GREEN alternating 9 times, then AMBER/GREEN quickly flickering. This alternates, and the SYS LED turns RED once, then back to solid GREEN.

This doesn't seem to match with what the manual suggests, which is that once the SYS LED is yellow, I should release the button and see a sequence of RED three times, GREEN three times, YELLOW three times, and return to original state.

I have removed my CR2032 battery, unplugged the power, and reset and replaced the battery just in case that would help but my behavior remains as listed above. Do I have an incorrect manual or is there something else I am doing wrong?

I recognize I could probably temporarily set up a new SSID/password combo that meets the old one but with all of the resets, I'm not sure if that will even work.

Thanks.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM-W PB Button LED sequence does not follow expectations

Post by ben » Thu May 26, 2022 9:42 am

markf wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 pm
I have a GEM-W and recently changed an SSID password on my network. I lost connectivity with the GEM at that time and have been wanting to access it by putting it into AP mode. My GEM has the PB button on the bottom of the unit. I press and hold this button for about 5 seconds, during which time the SYS LED turns quickly RED, GREEN, OFF, GREEN, RED, OFF, GREEN, and finally YELLOW (green/amber both lit). The COM LED flashes AMBER/GREEN alternating 9 times, then AMBER/GREEN quickly flickering. This alternates, and the SYS LED turns RED once, then back to solid GREEN.

This doesn't seem to match with what the manual suggests, which is that once the SYS LED is yellow, I should release the button and see a sequence of RED three times, GREEN three times, YELLOW three times, and return to original state.

I have removed my CR2032 battery, unplugged the power, and reset and replaced the battery just in case that would help but my behavior remains as listed above. Do I have an incorrect manual or is there something else I am doing wrong?
I'll have to talk with Paul about this. It looks like the WiFi reset may have become messed up in the newer F/W versions.
markf wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 pm
I recognize I could probably temporarily set up a new SSID/password combo that meets the old one but with all of the resets, I'm not sure if that will even work.

Thanks.
This should work as a temporary solution if you have a spare router available. We've been thru a few different routers here and have always just changed it to the same SSID and had everything reconnect.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
markf

Post by markf » Thu May 26, 2022 11:29 am

ben wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:42 am
This should work as a temporary solution if you have a spare router available. We've been thru a few different routers here and have always just changed it to the same SSID and had everything reconnect.
My system supports multiple SSIDs, so I just went ahead and reverted. In the future, I will create a NEW SSID when I want to change passwords, and slowly deprecate the old one. The GEM wasn't the only struggle.

Either way, might be worth updating the documentation or firmware for these older units if the PB LED sequence no longer works. Thanks!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm

markf wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:29 am
ben wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:42 am
My system supports multiple SSIDs, so I just went ahead and reverted. In the future, I will create a NEW SSID when I want to change passwords, and slowly deprecate the old one. The GEM wasn't the only struggle.

Either way, might be worth updating the documentation or firmware for these older units if the PB LED sequence no longer works. Thanks!
We'll be patching the F/W to make that button sequence work again. It must've got disabled recently.

Thanks for letting us know.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri May 27, 2022 12:12 pm

I uploaded 4.36 for use with the older WiFi-only units: http://brultech.com/software/files/down ... FiOnly.fmw

We iterated to 5.XX to support a new RF module we're working on. There should be no difference between the 4/5-series beyond that.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.