pre-install - concerned about CT wire length & placement

Ask questions about the GEM here.
dvl

pre-install - concerned about CT wire length & placement

Post by dvl » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 am

I'm waiting for the electricians to arrive. While doing a house-rewire, they will set up the CTs in the new panel.

My main concern is where to place the GEM relative to the new electrical panel. I'm thinking below. But would the side also work. This will be a 200A panel with about 28 initial circuits.

If I need to extend the CT wires a couple of feed, I can solder on some wire. Is that feasible?

Thank you
ben
Site Admin

Re: pre-install - concerned about CT wire length & placement

Post by ben » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:57 am

dvl wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:54 am
I'm waiting for the electricians to arrive. While doing a house-rewire, they will set up the CTs in the new panel.

My main concern is where to place the GEM relative to the new electrical panel. I'm thinking below. But would the side also work. This will be a 200A panel with about 28 initial circuits.

If I need to extend the CT wires a couple of feed, I can solder on some wire. Is that feasible?

Thank you
Placement is up-to-you. It just can't be within the panel. You can look over the other installs on the forums (under Projects) for some ideas.

Extending is possible. If at a longer distance use CAT cable to reduce the amount of possible interference.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
dvl

Re: pre-install - concerned about CT wire length & placement

Post by dvl » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:34 am

Looking at this project in the projects forum alleviates my fear about side placement. There seems to be a junction box below the GEM for longer cables.

For others, like me, wondering about this, here's what I found:

Another side mount solution.

and another

bottom left corner of panel