Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM not reacheable anymore

Post by ben » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:20 am

daudet wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:27 pm
Ok Ben
Regarding the PS will take a picture of it to and sent it to you to see if it is the original.

But how can i do a Factory reset with the Network utility if i cant talk to the GEM itself without the Ethernet module

Right now the only access to the GEM is thru the Dashbox via the com1 port.
As i always did via direct Ethernet.

Can you tell me if i do connect to GEM thru the Dashbox <----> GEM with the Utility, and if i do press factory reset as pictured below it should work?

WHat about a backup of the GEM? before. I guess it will be corrupted too. So i should take screen shot of all page in GEM before doing a reset?

What about the ethernet module is there a way to gain access to it as a standalone with local power.
I think you were powering it up thru one of the pin with the little wire.

If i put my module back on the main motherboard and move the DB connection to Com2 on GEM and port2 on DB then should i be able to talk to the Wiznet module thru the DB with the Utility?
28-Jan-22 10-08-02 PM.jpg
The old supply will say "AC Adaptor" on the label if it's the bad type, the "o" in "Adaptor" is the giveaway.

You should be able to do the factory reset thru 8001 on the DashBox. The DashBox provides a direct link to RS232 #1 using that port. The "Get GEM Info" as in your screenshot for example is talking back and forth to the GEM.

Once reset, set the hardware option to Ethernet Only and re-attach the Ethernet module to see if it works.

The GEM settings are all corrupt right now so I don't think there's anything salvageable there. Do you have an old backup of the Settings?

The DashBox may have a record of the CTs on each channel. I'll take a look into that later today.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
sub3marathonman

Post by sub3marathonman » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 am

ben wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:20 am
daudet wrote:
Ok Ben
Regarding the PS will take a picture of it to and sent it to you to see if it is the original.
The old supply will say "AC Adaptor" on the label if it's the bad type, the "o" in "Adaptor" is the giveaway.
As another one who purchased a GEM long ago, can somebody post a picture of this potentially problematic power supply? Or post a picture of the good power supply?

Is it then possible to buy a new PS for the old GEM?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:18 pm

sub3marathonman wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 am
ben wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:20 am
daudet wrote:
Ok Ben
As another one who purchased a GEM long ago, can somebody post a picture of this potentially problematic power supply? Or post a picture of the good power supply?

Is it then possible to buy a new PS for the old GEM?
You can tell by the adapter label, it's labelled as "AC Adaptor" (the "tor" is the giveaway).

It can be replaced with any 5VDC 1.5A or 2A power adapter (2.1mm X 5.5mm barrel plug, center positive). If you have Amazon Prime it's likely going to be cheaper/faster to order from them.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
nbsvirginia

Post by nbsvirginia » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:15 am

I am not sure it is a power supply issue in all cases.

My GEM randomly stops sending data and needs to be rebooted. I have tried 3 different power supplies, a POE to 5V adapter, changing the config parameters, reducing how often GEM sends data and it still stopes sending the data. Updating the COM and ENG firmware did also not make a difference. Sometimes it works for a few weeks, sometimes it stops twice a day.

Or maybe there is an issue in the code of GEM, which stops sending data when one call to the target fails for whatever reason?

I wonder is a new Wiznet module would help? Or should I plan on a new GEM?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:29 pm

daudet wrote:
Ok Ben

But how can i do a Factory reset with the Network utility if i cant talk to the GEM itself without the Ethernet module

Right now the only access to the GEM is thru the Dashbox via the com1 port.
As i always did via direct Ethernet.

Can you tell me if i do connect to GEM thru the Dashbox <----> GEM with the Utility, and if i do press factory reset as pictured below it should work?
Yeah, it will work. It's no different then communicating thru the Ethernet beyond the GEM not having control over the baud rate on the DashBox.
daudet wrote:
WHat about a backup of the GEM? before. I guess it will be corrupted too. So i should take screen shot of all page in GEM before doing a reset?
When did you take the backup of the GEM? If you took a manual backup it shouldn't be corrupt.
daudet wrote:
What about the ethernet module is there a way to gain access to it as a standalone with local power.
I think you were powering it up thru one of the pin with the little wire.

If i put my module back on the main motherboard and move the DB connection to Com2 on GEM and port2 on DB then should i be able to talk to the Wiznet module thru the DB with the Utility?
I would do the following:

- Factory Reset thru DashBox
- Update COM F/W to latest http://brultech.com/software/files/down ... _5.39_.fmw thru DashBox (should just be able to select the file and upload it thru your connection above).
- Set Hardware Option to Ethernet-Only
- Unplug and reconnect Ethernet module
- Move DashBox connection to COM2
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.