GEM not reacheable anymore

Ask questions about the GEM here.
daudet

GEM not reacheable anymore

Post by daudet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:07 pm

HI Everyone,
first Happy New Years.
Well since my last post on Jan 2020, i have not done much
Yesterday i went to my Dashbox to have a look at my pellet stove and got weird display as i have NAW for reading.
and in the Status on top of Dashbord i have Loading... Status: Err
the led on the GEM were dim. and no link on the Ethernet module.
Tonight i have replaced the 5vdc Power and now i have bright Green LED on the RIght and the Left one was red but after awhile it went Green also but on the ethernet connector the Link Led is off and some time it come on for a couple minute and then it is off.
Could it be the Ethernet module that is faulty.?
Running network Utility i find only the Dashbox.
Also pluging the Eternet module in a standalone router with DHCP i get intermittent network link form the module.

ANy clue?
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC. Can.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM not reacheable anymore

Post by ben » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:56 am

daudet wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:07 pm
HI Everyone,
first Happy New Years.
Well since my last post on Jan 2020, i have not done much
Yesterday i went to my Dashbox to have a look at my pellet stove and got weird display as i have NAW for reading.
and in the Status on top of Dashbord i have Loading... Status: Err
the led on the GEM were dim. and no link on the Ethernet module.
Tonight i have replaced the 5vdc Power and now i have bright Green LED on the RIght and the Left one was red but after awhile it went Green also but on the ethernet connector the Link Led is off and some time it come on for a couple minute and then it is off.
Could it be the Ethernet module that is faulty.?
Running network Utility i find only the Dashbox.
Also pluging the Eternet module in a standalone router with DHCP i get intermittent network link form the module.

ANy clue?
It sounds like the bad power supply has corrupted the GEMs memory.

Assuming this is a black board, pop the battery out below the LEDs, remove power, wait a second or two, then plug it back in.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
daudet

Post by daudet » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 pm

Hi Ben
ok i have pull out the battery and put a new one and plug back the AC.
back so same point where both LED are on and link led is on for network connection .
but running the discovery tool it does discover the DashBox at 192.168.1.50 port 80 and also GEM via Dashbox on port 8001 and 8001. but not able to get the GEM itself.

Running the Network Utility i get same thing.
in the DB i see in config that GEM was on 192.168.1.118 but no response to this IP.
I think the Ethernet to RS232 module have issue.
IS threre a way to reset the ethernet module.
Thanks
Daniel Audet VA2DG
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:59 pm

daudet wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:30 pm
Hi Ben
ok i have pull out the battery and put a new one and plug back the AC.
back so same point where both LED are on and link led is on for network connection .
but running the discovery tool it does discover the DashBox at 192.168.1.50 port 80 and also GEM via Dashbox on port 8001 and 8001. but not able to get the GEM itself.

Running the Network Utility i get same thing.
in the DB i see in config that GEM was on 192.168.1.118 but no response to this IP.
I think the Ethernet to RS232 module have issue.
IS threre a way to reset the ethernet module.
Thanks
Did you replace the battery while powered off? That will put the memory in some unknown state. You should do the following:

- Remove the battery
- Remove power
- Wait a couple seconds for full discharge
- Plug the GEM back in in
- Put the battery back in
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
daudet

Post by daudet » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:00 pm

HI Ben
i did exactly in the order you stated.
but no link on the Wiznet board thru my cat5 jack to the patch pannel then to the with.
i have move the cable to another switch and same.
then i did a power off.
Upon power on i have left Red LED, Righ Green LED and i see the Green and orange led on the RJ-45 jack of the Wiznet jack going on and then once the Left Red LED on the GEM turn Green i loose the link on the ethernet.
Then at the other end on my switch i just see the link led comming on for half second once a while. but no link.
I think the Wiznet module might be faulty.
what to you think
Also another test i have another route with same subnet and dhcp enable in closed circuit near the GEM
If i do connect the Wixnet on it i have the link and it stay on all the time. then i have a laptop in that closed circuit plug in one of the ethernet port of the router
Laptop get 192.168.1.125 ip. so when i start the Discovery or Network utility un Admin privilege and hit scan
it cant find my laptop IP router and Mask and tell me to enter it manually. I do enter IP,Def GW and Mask and scan again but it does flush what i have entered and does not work
I use also IPAdvanced Scanner to scan the network and it return only my laptop and router ID. none for the GEM.

Is there a way to get on the WizNet board via the serial port? or using an USB to RS232 cable and hook it up to the local serial port to access the GEM.?
Right now my Dashbox is in my data Rack at the opposite side of the house so i cant hook directly to GEM. Unless i use one of the spare Cat-5 already in my GEM which end up to my BIX field. I could cross connect the DB serial port thru this cable until i can fix the Wiznet board.

ANy idea are welcome.

Daniel
Daniel Audet VA2DG
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi Daniel,

As a hell merry pass set your switch to 10 / 100 and see if it connects. That seemed to help a few people in the past.

Happy New Years!
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
daudet

Post by daudet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:40 am

Hi Pat,
well not a switch problem, I move the patch cable to an old 10/100 switch and link Led is flashing once a while but not steady.
So i reprogram my spare router Cisco E4200 without DHCP to use it as a simple switch.
Connected one port in my jack to my Gigaswitch and the other port directly to the WizNet module. Now i have a steady link Green LED and activity on Yellow LED
Suspect that the WizNet cannot establish a link on a 45' CAT5 from the jack located near Breaker Panel and my Data Rack, but it does with a 4' patch to the Cisco E4200.

But no way i can talk to the GEM , It does not get any IP from DHCP,

Is there a way to get into the Wiznet thru serial port and see it's configuration? and see if i can get it to work as a standalone module Ethernet to Serial outside the GEM.
Daniel Audet VA2DG
daudet

Post by daudet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:23 pm

OK i have taken the Wiznet module out of the GEM
added a 5vdc to it and plug back on my network. And nothining. Even told my DHCP to give a specific IP according to the MAC of the module. Still nothing. So Module is kind of fried.

Next step i have reconnected the CAT5 to Com1 and cross connected the DB cable on port 1.
So far so good i have access to GEM via 172.168.1.50:8001 , i had mistmatch on baud rate. So was able to put it back to 115200 with GEM NEt Util.
But the first couple login to my Dashbox in Setting the detected Energy Monitor was mine SN 01000522 but after awhile i got a second GEM with a different serial # 25401440 kind of strange.
DB status.jpg
DB status.jpg (174.27 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
23-Jan-22 15-23-34.jpg
23-Jan-22 15-23-34.jpg (188.39 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Then some Snapshot of GEM
Seem i have lost everything
In Chan option i see it is 50Hz
Status.jpg
Status.jpg (144.23 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
chan option.jpg
chan option.jpg (180.42 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Packet Setup i have change the format to 4.
Packet Send.jpg
Packet Send.jpg (200.7 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Then Data post is screwd up
Data Post.jpg
Data Post.jpg (200.93 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Advanced look like this.
Adv1.jpg
Adv1.jpg (173.04 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Adv 2.jpg
Adv 2.jpg (189.41 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Live Data look weird as i have negative numbers.
Live Data.jpg
Live Data.jpg (160.94 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am

It looks like you had one of the bad power supplies from back in 2016ish. The capacitor on those supplies have been known to go bad and pull the voltage down to a point that causes the GEM memory to corrupt.

In the GEM Network Utility do a Factory Defaults under the Firmware tab.

You can re-attach the Ethernet module after, just make sure you set the Hardware Option to Ethernet Only.

This command (use the Debug section on the GEM Network Utility) should restore your serial number:

^^^SYSSSN0A0020A

Cycle power to the GEM once set.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
daudet

Post by daudet » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:27 pm

Ok Ben
Regarding the PS will take a picture of it to and sent it to you to see if it is the original.

But how can i do a Factory reset with the Network utility if i cant talk to the GEM itself without the Ethernet module

Right now the only access to the GEM is thru the Dashbox via the com1 port.
As i always did via direct Ethernet.

Can you tell me if i do connect to GEM thru the Dashbox <----> GEM with the Utility, and if i do press factory reset as pictured below it should work?

WHat about a backup of the GEM? before. I guess it will be corrupted too. So i should take screen shot of all page in GEM before doing a reset?

What about the ethernet module is there a way to gain access to it as a standalone with local power.
I think you were powering it up thru one of the pin with the little wire.

If i put my module back on the main motherboard and move the DB connection to Com2 on GEM and port2 on DB then should i be able to talk to the Wiznet module thru the DB with the Utility?
28-Jan-22 10-08-02 PM.jpg
28-Jan-22 10-08-02 PM.jpg (173.58 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Daniel Audet VA2DG