GEM Communication Failure? (Solved)

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Visseroth

GEM Communication Failure? (Solved)

Post by Visseroth » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:18 am

OK, so we had a wind storm about a week ago and it damaged some stuff around here and it seems something happened to my GEM.

I have a Dashbox connected to my GEM and when I connect via a web browser to my Dashbox port 8001 I get a bunch of computer language gibberish from my GEM.

I tried connecting and uploading new firmware via the GEM Network Utility and it will say "Connected" in green then go red.
Firmware uploads error with "No response from the GEM..... Now exiting
Firmware uploads with Recovery mode checked and the GEM in recovery mode errors with a error 222

Need some help here. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

On a side note, after leaving my GEM unplugged for a week while waiting on a replacement PT I can't log into my Dashbox. I use a password utility to store it and I know I haven't changed it. It worked prior to it being powered off for a week and now i can't log into it. I even tried the default user name and password.
Last edited by Visseroth on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teken

Re: GEM Communication Failure?

Post by Teken » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:26 am

Visseroth wrote:OK, so we had a wind storm about a week ago and it damaged some stuff around here and it seems something happened to my GEM.

I have a Dashbox connected to my GEM and when I connect via a web browser to my Dashbox port 8001 I get a bunch of computer language gibberish from my GEM.

I tried connecting and uploading new firmware via the GEM Network Utility and it will say "Connected" in green then go red.
Firmware uploads error with "No response from the GEM..... Now exiting
Firmware uploads with Recovery mode checked and the GEM in recovery mode errors with a error 222

Need some help here. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

On a side note, after leaving my GEM unplugged for a week while waiting on a replacement PT I can't log into my Dashbox. I use a password utility to store it and I know I haven't changed it. It worked prior to it being powered off for a week and now i can't log into it. I even tried the default user name and password.
Are you saying when the storm came through there was a surge / lightning event?!? And when you say *Damaged some stuff* what other items?
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm

No, no lighting, just a lot of power on, power off, a few brown outs before the power failed.
I wish I could tell you exactly how many times it flickered or went out exactly but if I was to throw a number out there then I would say it flickered at least a dozen times and the power went out about 4 times.
3 of those 4 times I turned on the generator. It's a small 7.5KW but it powers most everything minus the hot water heater, hot tub, dryer and cooking range.

Currently the only thing I've found to be damaged is the panel monitoring system, as described.
The last time the power went out (not this day, about a month prior) it blew the AC side of a 1KW solar grid tie inverter.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:35 am

Visseroth wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm
No, no lighting, just a lot of power on, power off, a few brown outs before the power failed.
I wish I could tell you exactly how many times it flickered or went out exactly but if I was to throw a number out there then I would say it flickered at least a dozen times and the power went out about 4 times.
3 of those 4 times I turned on the generator. It's a small 7.5KW but it powers most everything minus the hot water heater, hot tub, dryer and cooking range.

Currently the only thing I've found to be damaged is the panel monitoring system, as described.
The last time the power went out (not this day, about a month prior) it blew the AC side of a 1KW solar grid tie inverter.
What does it say under System->Settings->Change Baudrates on the DashBox? Gibberish sounds like it may be a baudrate mismatch.

What F/W is the DashBox on (in the footer)?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:30 pm

That's another problem I have. I can't log into my Dashbox. I had it off for a week and now it won't let me login.
I've tried the default and other stuff I've received my support
admin, admin
admin, pass1
admin, (old password)
parick, (old password)
patrick, admin
patrick, pass1

I did connect the GEM to my network, I'm unable to access it there either though it does show up when I use the network utility scanner.

The firmware on the footer is 4.2.4b17C
Visseroth

Post by Visseroth » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:49 pm

OK to update this thread here's what's happened...

Brultech support helped me get my password reset on the Dashbox, or rather the tech connected remotely and reset it.

My GEM has a NIC that I didn't realize used Com 1
I've been running for years on Com 1 with my Dashbox so I moved to Com 2 on the GEM and got communications back to my Dashbox.

I adjust my PT type to 206 Type 3 (Adjust your PT type in small increments to match your utility voltage) to get the voltage to exactly match my voltmeter

Comms are working again though I'm still getting the green red green red off cycle on my status light on the GEM.
I sent Brultech a email about this, maybe he's got a better idea as to what's going on because when I log into the GEM to check it says status OK and the light goes green.
When I exit setup from the GEM it goes back to cycling.

I figured this was related to a communications issue between the GEM and the Dashbox because it seemed to stop for a while but I guess that's not the case.
Last edited by Visseroth on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visseroth

Re: GEM Communication Failure? (Solved)

Post by Visseroth » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:25 pm

green red green red off indicates a misconfiguration of a Com port.
Seems the NIC on Com port 1 was trying to communicate at 115,200 vs the default setting of 19,200.
Changed the com port communication speed, errors are gone!

Thanks BrulTech Support!

Problems solved, monitoring system back online.