GEM losing settings

Ask questions about the GEM here.
1MikeyBob1

GEM losing settings

Post by 1MikeyBob1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:54 pm

I’ve had a few occasions where some of my GEM settings are “scrambled”.

(1) The first occurrence was about a year ago, after a power outage. After the power was restored multiple settings were misconfigured. I replaced the coin battery at that time.
(2) The second occurrence was about a week ago. For some unknown reason the DashBox stopped receiving data from the GEM. I cycled the power on the GEM and again multiple settings were misconfigured.
(3) The third occurrence was yesterday. Power was out for about 8 hours and once again multiple settings were misconfigured.

Should I try and replace the coin battery again? Is there anything else that might be causing the misconfigured settings after losing power?
Teken

Re: GEM losing settings

Post by Teken » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:01 pm

1MikeyBob1 wrote:I’ve had a few occasions where some of my GEM settings are “scrambled”.

(1) The first occurrence was about a year ago, after a power outage. After the power was restored multiple settings were misconfigured. I replaced the coin battery at that time.
(2) The second occurrence was about a week ago. For some unknown reason the DashBox stopped receiving data from the GEM. I cycled the power on the GEM and again multiple settings were misconfigured.
(3) The third occurrence was yesterday. Power was out for about 8 hours and once again multiple settings were misconfigured.

Should I try and replace the coin battery again? Is there anything else that might be causing the misconfigured settings after losing power?
I would measure the coin cell to see what the DC voltage is. As a matter of best practice both the DB & GEM should be on a UPS. The 120 VAC PT can remain plugged into its dedicated outlet to monitor the incoming line voltage.

The PSU for both the DB & GEM should be checked to see if it’s one of the bad ones listed by Brultech.

That won’t cause the GEM to lose its settings but it’s something that should be validated so both systems operate as expected. Double check the barrel plug is clean and firmly soldered in place.

This also applies to the housing to the coin cell. Specifically, insure the contact plate actually has pressure on the battery cell if not push it down until it grabs the coin cell.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:07 pm

Teken wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:01 pm
1MikeyBob1 wrote:I’ve had a few occasions where some of my GEM settings are “scrambled”.

I would measure the coin cell to see what the DC voltage is. As a matter of best practice both the DB & GEM should be on a UPS. The 120 VAC PT can remain plugged into its dedicated outlet to monitor the incoming line voltage.

The PSU for both the DB & GEM should be checked to see if it’s one of the bad ones listed by Brultech.

That won’t cause the GEM to lose its settings but it’s something that should be validated so both systems operate as expected. Double check the barrel plug is clean and firmly soldered in place.

This also applies to the housing to the coin cell. Specifically, insure the contact plate actually has pressure on the battery cell if not push it down until it grabs the coin cell.
The PSU is likely the issue, check for the "AC Adaptor" label and toss it. There's more information here: https://www.brultech.com/contact

If you have a Mini-USB adapter and a 5VDC USB supply you can substitute that in.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
1MikeyBob1

Post by 1MikeyBob1 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Thanks for replies, I was able to explore your suggestions after being out of town for the last four days.

It appears that the PSU was the issue, as the GEM began acting normally after switching to a USB supply. I’ve sent an email to sales@brultech.com to purchase a couple PSU replacements.

I’m a little concerned that some of the GEM settings might still be “scrambled” after the multiple power hiccups. I can go through and manually (re)set the channel and CT values, but I’m not sure what some of the values on the Adv tab should be. Is there a way to “factory reset” or somehow verify the GEM’s in a known good state?
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:16 pm

1MikeyBob1 wrote:Thanks for replies, I was able to explore your suggestions after being out of town for the last four days.

It appears that the PSU was the issue, as the GEM began acting normally after switching to a USB supply. I’ve sent an email to sales@brultech.com to purchase a couple PSU replacements.

I’m a little concerned that some of the GEM settings might still be “scrambled” after the multiple power hiccups. I can go through and manually (re)set the channel and CT values, but I’m not sure what some of the values on the Adv tab should be. Is there a way to “factory reset” or somehow verify the GEM’s in a known good state?
The full users manual outlines how to factory default the GEM. My project thread shows lots of before and after settings too. Regardless, Ben can shoot over a image capture as to what the default settings are if required.

Once the GEM is set up do a backup of the entire config file.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:49 am

1MikeyBob1 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:58 pm
Thanks for replies, I was able to explore your suggestions after being out of town for the last four days.

Easiest would be to likely screenshot the Channel Option, Adv, and Status sections and email them over. That way you don't have to reprogram your CT settings.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com