GEM Sending Data to Dashbox, but Unable to Connect to it

Ask questions about the GEM here.
sdwilsh

GEM Sending Data to Dashbox, but Unable to Connect to it

Post by sdwilsh » Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:06 pm

I installed my GEM yesterday, and got things setup and working with the Dashbox. I had only setup four channels in order to test the setup and make sure everything was working, and today I went to setup the rest. However, I cannot connect to the GEM, despite it still sending data to the Dashbox. I've tried in the browser as well as with the GEM Network Utility. My Dashbox and GEM are connected via ethernet (I have ethernet-only module in the GEM) on the same subnet (10.117.0.0/23).

Strangely, I can change the IP address of the GEM with the GEM Network Utility (Save Settings appears to work when I toggle between DHCP and Static), but I cannot open the connection to the GEM via the utility or the browser in order to update channel data.

I've read over the manual and done the F1-F3 functions, and that did not appear to change anything, unfortunately. I've also disabled Window firewall entirely to verify that was not an issue.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Sending Data to Dashbox, but Unable to Connect to it

Post by ben » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:19 am

sdwilsh wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:06 pm
I installed my GEM yesterday, and got things setup and working with the Dashbox. I had only setup four channels in order to test the setup and make sure everything was working, and today I went to setup the rest. However, I cannot connect to the GEM, despite it still sending data to the Dashbox. I've tried in the browser as well as with the GEM Network Utility. My Dashbox and GEM are connected via ethernet (I have ethernet-only module in the GEM) on the same subnet (10.117.0.0/23).

Strangely, I can change the IP address of the GEM with the GEM Network Utility (Save Settings appears to work when I toggle between DHCP and Static), but I cannot open the connection to the GEM via the utility or the browser in order to update channel data.

I've read over the manual and done the F1-F3 functions, and that did not appear to change anything, unfortunately. I've also disabled Window firewall entirely to verify that was not an issue.
What mode is the Ethernet module in (Mixed, Server, or Client) and what's your Idle Time set to?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:30 pm

It was set to mixed. I changed the "Comm Setting" "Idle Time" from 8 to 5, and was able to get access again, although I don't know if that actually fixed it or something else caused it.

Regardless, I have access now, and have gotten things setup.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:02 am

sdwilsh wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:30 pm
It was set to mixed. I changed the "Comm Setting" "Idle Time" from 8 to 5, and was able to get access again, although I don't know if that actually fixed it or something else caused it.

Regardless, I have access now, and have gotten things setup.
The Idle Time setting basically means after having a connection for X seconds then disconnect. So if your Idle Time is greater then your Packet Send Interval it'll never close the Client connection to allow a Server connection.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:33 pm

They both would have been set to 8 then, since the dashbox wants the HTTP GET every 8 seconds per the documentation I was reading.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:42 pm

sdwilsh wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:33 pm
They both would have been set to 8 then, since the dashbox wants the HTTP GET every 8 seconds per the documentation I was reading.
Yeah, that would cause that issue, you should be good now.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.