Moving GEM and Dashbox to new network range

Ask questions about the GEM here.
turbo

Moving GEM and Dashbox to new network range

Post by turbo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi all,

I have a Gem w WIFI and ethernet and a Dashbox on a network range from an older router I want to swap out of service. I'm a bit worried about doing this so have kept this router at the top of my LAN network longer than I should have.

The WIFI AP is not a router so the login for the SSID remain the same.

It seems like I should be able to simply change the static IP # of each device to the new network range, leaving the final octet the same. So 10.255.249.200 becomes 192.168.1.200. Update the router address and DNS, save and restart the device. I'm wondering if there are any considerations I should take into account before doing this?

The Dashbox in particular, if I'm unable to login I don't know how I would recover the device. I tried accessing it via a straight ethernet cable to my laptop without an AP or router in the loop. The page would load but the login password would not work. I had to put the device back on the AP and WIFI network before I could log into it again.

The GEM is in STA mode with the client pointing to the Dashbox server at .201.

I think I would change the GEM settings, apply and reboot, change the Dashbox settings, save and reboot, then pull out my older router. The AP now migrates to a newer router waiting that serves a 192.168.1x network range. The devices should now show up on this network if I put in their network addresses correctly.

It's been some years since I set this up. It's been so stable I rarely get into the weeds with the system so now refreshing my brain around this. I think the Dashbox will receive the packets from the GEM without me having to enter the GEM's IP# into the Dashbox. If the network set up is correct, then the Dashbox begins recording the incoming packets on port 80.

Any tips I should consider before starting to do this? Thanks.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Moving GEM and Dashbox to new network range

Post by ben » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:06 am

turbo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 pm
Hi all,

I have a Gem w WIFI and ethernet and a Dashbox on a network range from an older router I want to swap out of service. I'm a bit worried about doing this so have kept this router at the top of my LAN network longer than I should have.

The WIFI AP is not a router so the login for the SSID remain the same.

It seems like I should be able to simply change the static IP # of each device to the new network range, leaving the final octet the same. So 10.255.249.200 becomes 192.168.1.200. Update the router address and DNS, save and restart the device. I'm wondering if there are any considerations I should take into account before doing this?

The Dashbox in particular, if I'm unable to login I don't know how I would recover the device. I tried accessing it via a straight ethernet cable to my laptop without an AP or router in the loop. The page would load but the login password would not work. I had to put the device back on the AP and WIFI network before I could log into it again.

The GEM is in STA mode with the client pointing to the Dashbox server at .201.

I think I would change the GEM settings, apply and reboot, change the Dashbox settings, save and reboot, then pull out my older router. The AP now migrates to a newer router waiting that serves a 192.168.1x network range. The devices should now show up on this network if I put in their network addresses correctly.

It's been some years since I set this up. It's been so stable I rarely get into the weeds with the system so now refreshing my brain around this. I think the Dashbox will receive the packets from the GEM without me having to enter the GEM's IP# into the Dashbox. If the network set up is correct, then the Dashbox begins recording the incoming packets on port 80.

Any tips I should consider before starting to do this? Thanks.
The button on the back can be used to put the DashBox into AP Mode/DHCP Ethernet:

Press the button and release, it'll do the following sequence:

- Red (Reboot)
- Green
- Orange (Reset DHCP/AP Mode)
- Green
- Off (Reset login/password)
- Normal operation

Press and release again when orange.

Your steps sound reasonable, you can do the above if you get stuck.

Did you reboot after plugging in the Ethernet? It may not have auto-initialized.

EDIT: Test your button first before trying anything to make sure it works. If it doesn't update your F/W version.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com