Best way to monitor a whole-home NG Generator?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
TonyPh12345

Best way to monitor a whole-home NG Generator?

Post by TonyPh12345 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm

Hey, all!

I live in north Texas, and we had a devastating winter storm which began on February 14 of this year. My neighborhood lost utility-provided electricity for almost three days. The result was that we sustained at least $10K (USD) in damage to pool equipment which froze and burst, and would have been prevented if we weren't without electricity.

Today, I signed a contract to have a whole-home 22kW natural gas generator installed at my residence which will cost less than the damages we incurred from the storm.

I'm assuming the automatic transfer switch will be installed between the meter and my existing main panel, but I want to monitor the generator separately from the utility so if the generator is running, it's monitored separately from the utility.

I think I'll need a pair of split CT-200s on the generator, and might need to replace the CT-200s already attached on the existing feeds from the meter to the busses of the panel. I'm looking for suggestions on how to best wire this up.

On a separate subject, does anyone in the Atmos (natural gas utility) service area know if it's possible to monitor gas consumption? Do modern gas meters have the ability to offer pulses for monitoring? The meter we have now is over 20 years old.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Best way to monitor a whole-home NG Generator?

Post by ben » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 am

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 pm
Hey, all!

I live in north Texas, and we had a devastating winter storm which began on February 14 of this year. My neighborhood lost utility-provided electricity for almost three days. The result was that we sustained at least $10K (USD) in damage to pool equipment which froze and burst, and would have been prevented if we weren't without electricity.

Today, I signed a contract to have a whole-home 22kW natural gas generator installed at my residence which will cost less than the damages we incurred from the storm.

I'm assuming the automatic transfer switch will be installed between the meter and my existing main panel, but I want to monitor the generator separately from the utility so if the generator is running, it's monitored separately from the utility.

I think I'll need a pair of split CT-200s on the generator, and might need to replace the CT-200s already attached on the existing feeds from the meter to the busses of the panel. I'm looking for suggestions on how to best wire this up.

On a separate subject, does anyone in the Atmos (natural gas utility) service area know if it's possible to monitor gas consumption? Do modern gas meters have the ability to offer pulses for monitoring? The meter we have now is over 20 years old.
Yeah, you'll need to move the Split-200s from the panel to (likely) where the transfer switch is located if you want to monitor utility power only on that channel.

When wiring that up, you can likely put a set of Split-200s on the generator there also.

You can get gas meters with pulse from EKM Metering: https://www.ekmmetering.com/collections/gas-meters, you should be able to install anywhere after the utility meter (you'll have to call your utility to see what they say).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
wojo

Post by wojo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 pm

What's the maximum distance for a CT if I ran something like Cat5e? I am also in the same situation with a Kohler 20KW being installed and would like the CTs in the ATS.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18 am

wojo wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 pm
What's the maximum distance for a CT if I ran something like Cat5e? I am also in the same situation with a Kohler 20KW being installed and would like the CTs in the ATS.
We've tried up-to 100FT without issues. Just make sure not to run it parallel with any power lines/etc. due to potential noise.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
wojo

Post by wojo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 am

ben wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:18 am
wojo wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 pm
We've tried up-to 100FT without issues. Just make sure not to run it parallel with any power lines/etc. due to potential noise.
Great! Noted.
nbsvirginia

Post by nbsvirginia » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:00 am

Look into GenMon (if you get a Generac): https://github.com/jgyates/genmon. I have this paired with my GEM since my version of Generac does not report power. Lucky enough, my transfer switch is only a few foot away from the GEM.
TonyPh12345

Post by TonyPh12345 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:46 pm

nbsvirginia wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:00 am
Look into GenMon (if you get a Generac): https://github.com/jgyates/genmon. I have this paired with my GEM since my version of Generac does not report power. Lucky enough, my transfer switch is only a few foot away from the GEM.
Hey, @nbsvirginia!

I checked that Github link, but there's an awful lot there to digest.

I am, indeed, waiting for a Generac, though they're so supply-constrained I've been told it won't be installed until December. I've been told my house is an "easy" install. I assume the ATS will be installed nearer to the electric service entrance (into a garage) than the generator (about forty feet away) which will probably be only four or five feet (plus a brick wall) between it and the GEM.

Can you offer a summary of what GenMon offers? I've already bought the CT-200s, but if software linkages to Generac's stuff can do the same thing, that'd be useful.

Thanks!