GEM Serial Number Changed On It's Own?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
philf

GEM Serial Number Changed On It's Own?

Post by philf » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 pm

I've been reliably feeding my GEM data to a web service that I put together on a server in my home to replace the now defunct SmartEnergyGroups, and it's been running flawlessly for months. I think May will mark the one year anniversary. As I'm doing this for my own use, my GEM's serial number hasn't really been of interest - but I recently had a glitch that made me revisit some code I had written to re-load missing data from IIS logs (they capture the full HTTP request that the GEM sends in), and was head-scratching over why it wasn't working since last time I had occasion to use it. Turns out I'm filtering the log data by looking for a string that includes the GEM serial number in each recorded event - and it stopped working because the serial number being reported by the GEM suddenly changed a few months ago. I thought that was weird, so I restarted the GEM (maybe the value being reported was some cached value that had somehow corrupted). But it continues report the "new" serial number, even on the GEM setup page. Fortunately, I know what the serial number *was* - but am mystified as to why this would change. I have had weirdness with this unit where the channel configuration (and other items) get messed up - and I've usually attributed it to power outages that occur when the onboard CR2032 is running down. I haven't experienced it again since keeping a close eye on the condition of the battery, but can't say conclusively that this was always the issue. But seeing the serial number change is brand new.

Any thoughts appreciated. When I've wanted to check for new firmware updates, I've usually gone to the device's web configuration page to retrieve it - but the number it is returning is obviously bogus, and hence the Brultech site won't show me any downloads. I *do* know the original serial number, and have been able to ascertain that the device is up-to-date. I won't share my real serial number in a public forum, but what the device is currently reporting is thus:

Serial#: 00541215
COM firmware ver: 5.13
ENG firmware ver: 1.49

It's not even like that serial number is a garbage value (though the real number starts with "0100").

Thoughts?
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Serial Number Changed On It's Own?

Post by ben » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 am

We had this issue with old firmware/bad power supplies. Check the notice at https://www.brultech.com/contact to make sure you're not running one of those bad supplies.

I'll email over a manual to change it back.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com