Can't connect to GEM, still getting data

Ask questions about the GEM here.
photonwave

Can't connect to GEM, still getting data

Post by photonwave » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:31 am

Hi All,

I have a GEM and a Dashbox (as well as an old ECM 1240). Although I had set up the GEM and Dashbox, I just added a temperature sensor and so I recall that I needed to configure the GEM to send the data. Through the Dashbox, I can see that the GEM is working and reporting data. On the Dashbox "Settings" tab, Status is green ("Active") with an updating refresh time. I can also find the GEM using the GEM Network Utility. The only problem is that I can't access the GEM configuration screen. I've tried using the Network Utility (connection timed out), the DashBox status page link, and simply typing the IP address into a browser; unfortunately nothing worked. I also noticed that my network router has not allocated an IP address for the GEM (although the Dashbox and Network Utility tool both agree what the IP address is). My best guess is that the the IP address provided in the Dashbox/GEM Network Utility is not correct; however, I don't know how to figure out what IP address it is at. My router does not have an entry for the GEM MAC Address (the GEM MAC Address does show up).

Any ideas on what to try? I've not power cycled the GEM box yet, so I guess that's the next thing to try.

When I ping the IP address that the Network Utility and Dashboard settings says is the GEM, I do get a response, so it looks like that's the GEM's IP address.
Don S.
ECM-1240, GEM, DashBox, 400 amp panel, solar
photonwave

Re: Can't connect to GEM, still getting data

Post by photonwave » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:57 am

Nevermind!

I checked my notes and saw that I had a similar problem before. The fix was to use the GEM Network Utility to set the "Idle Time" in the "Com Setting" on the "Ethernet Only" tab to be 3 seconds. Voila! I was able to log in and configure my temperature sensor immediately after that!
Don S.
ECM-1240, GEM, DashBox, 400 amp panel, solar