GEM stopped communicating with Dashbox

Ask questions about the GEM here.
FastFreddi

Re: GEM stopped communicating with Dashbox

Post by FastFreddi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:32 am

I believe I have the same communication issue after updating my DashBox. I have a GEM in each DashBox com port. I've lost access to com1 GEM on DashBox. Both GEMs are connected via their COM1. Interestingly, I have packet forwarding enabled through DashBox for both GEMs to send packets to HomeSeer. HomeSeer is still receiving packets from both GEMs via DashBox. I will do more testing tonight when I get home.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:33 am

FastFreddi wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:32 am
I believe I have the same communication issue after updating my DashBox. I have a GEM in each DashBox com port. I've lost access to com1 GEM on DashBox. Both GEMs are connected via their COM1. Interestingly, I have packet forwarding enabled through DashBox for both GEMs to send packets to HomeSeer. HomeSeer is still receiving packets from both GEMs via DashBox. I will do more testing tonight when I get home.
Did you update to 4.2.4b10 or b5a?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
FastFreddi

Post by FastFreddi » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:34 pm

I used the files updater_v4_2_4b1, then followed with v4_2_4b5a and then v4_2_10. My version pre-upgrade was v4_2_4a19. Things work working for 2 days then lost communication within DashBox. Com1 on affected GEM is set to packet format Bin48-NET-Time and it looks like COM1 Baud has reverted to 19200. Setting back to 115,200 baud has restored communication with DashBox. Also it looks like HomeSeer was not actually receiving updated info from mis-communicating GEM.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am

Ben:

Is there anything that you can suggest about getting the Alert for "no packets coming from GEM" working? Do you think it would help if I deleted all the predefined alerts and enter new ones?

Regards,
BBB

P.S.: FastFreddi, your situation seems exactly the same as mine. My Dashbox is also sending packets to HomeSeer.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:31 am

BigBadBuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:27 am
Ben:

Is there anything that you can suggest about getting the Alert for "no packets coming from GEM" working? Do you think it would help if I deleted all the predefined alerts and enter new ones?

Regards,
BBB

P.S.: FastFreddi, your situation seems exactly the same as mine. My Dashbox is also sending packets to HomeSeer.
I wonder if there's a bad timer floating around in your memory from past F/W. Login to your settings and then try:

http://dashbox-ip/index.php/pages/settings/clearMemory
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:58 pm

I went to the clear memory page - is it supposed to provide any feedback? I only saw a blank page. I then unplugged the serial cable from the GEM and have waited about 10 minutes - I haven't received an alert from the Dashbox (it's supposed to happen after 3 minutes of no packets). Just to make sure email was working, I pressed the send test message button in the Email page of the Alerts - I did receive that test email.

Regards,
BBB
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:57 pm

BigBadBuzz wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:58 pm
I went to the clear memory page - is it supposed to provide any feedback? I only saw a blank page. I then unplugged the serial cable from the GEM and have waited about 10 minutes - I haven't received an alert from the Dashbox (it's supposed to happen after 3 minutes of no packets). Just to make sure email was working, I pressed the send test message button in the Email page of the Alerts - I did receive that test email.

Regards,
BBB
Did you login first? It's protected behind the admin session of your DashBox.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:07 pm

I did, but I had been using Firefox and Safari browsers; I only got the "Memory has been cleared" message when I used Google Chrome.

I then unplugged the Serial cable from the GEM and waited for at least 10 minutes - I did not receive any email alerts. I sent a test message from the Alerts > Email tab just to make sure "the path" was working - and I did received the test email.

Regards,
Paul
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 am

BigBadBuzz wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:07 pm
I did, but I had been using Firefox and Safari browsers; I only got the "Memory has been cleared" message when I used Google Chrome.

I then unplugged the Serial cable from the GEM and waited for at least 10 minutes - I did not receive any email alerts. I sent a test message from the Alerts > Email tab just to make sure "the path" was working - and I did received the test email.

Regards,
Paul
Have you configured a custom email host or are you using our defaults?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Ben:

Under Alerts > SMTP Settings, Under Server it shows "Set to Default Settings"

Regards,
Paul