GEM stopped communicating with Dashbox

Ask questions about the GEM here.
BigBadBuzz

GEM stopped communicating with Dashbox

Post by BigBadBuzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:18 pm

Hello:

My GEM & Dashbox combination (communicating via serial) have been working well for the 3+ years that I have had them. However today I noticed that the Dashbox is not receiving packets from the Gem (or at least that is what the Dashbox says). It is probably just a coincidence but I updated the Dashbox a few nights ago to the 4.2.4b5 Firmware and 4.2.4b Updater. Here is what the Dashbox Settings > System > Change Baudrates page shows:
Dashbox-GEM No Comm.JPG
Dashbox-GEM No Comm.JPG (31.06 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
I checked the serial cable & connections and they appear to be okay. Suggestions on what I should do next?

Paul
BigBadBuzz

Re: GEM stopped communicating with Dashbox

Post by BigBadBuzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:29 pm

As far as the GEM LEDs, the SYSTEM LED is green for a few seconds, then there is a brief red flash, another brief red flash, then it goes back to green (and repeats that cycle). The other LED is solid green.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:38 am

I tried viewing the Dashbox's web page this morning and got this message:

Unable to connect to database.

Unable to locate database folder, please contact support@brultech.com with this error message for support.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:47 pm

I pressed the REFRESH Button on the Baud Rate Dialog Box, and now for COM1 it states: "Connected to unknown device. If this persists, check your baud rate settings or packet format."

I have tried the following things to try to debug/fix the problem, but the result is still the same:
  • Made an image copy of the 16GB SD Samsung PRO Card in the DashBox, and copied it to a 64GB Samsung PRO Endurance SD card
  • Booted the DashBox with the 64GB Samsung SD.
  • Used the /system/sd.php script to expand the DashBox's file system across the 64GB card. In the upper left corner of the Dashbox's Summary screen, where it once said it had about 1.6GB left, it now shows 46.73 GB Left.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:23 pm

I was able to get the GEM communicating again with the DashBox by changing the serial connection on the GEM from COM1 to COM2 (i.e., re-wiring the tinned ends of the serial cable). On the Dashbox, it says the connection is on COM1. Is there any chance that the latest Dashbox firmware "futzed" with serial ports? Linux is known to have troubles with consistently designating serial ports....

Regards,
Paul
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 pm

BigBadBuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:23 pm
I was able to get the GEM communicating again with the DashBox by changing the serial connection on the GEM from COM1 to COM2 (i.e., re-wiring the tinned ends of the serial cable). On the Dashbox, it says the connection is on COM1. Is there any chance that the latest Dashbox firmware "futzed" with serial ports? Linux is known to have troubles with consistently designating serial ports....

Regards,
Paul
What's your Primary and Secondary Packet Formats on the GEM?

The RS232 ports on the DashBox require Bin-48-NET-Time.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm

Ben:

Primary Packet Format: Bin-48-NET-Time
Secondary Packet Format: Disabled (Use COM1)

Regards,
Paul
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm

BigBadBuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:40 pm
Ben:

Primary Packet Format: Bin-48-NET-Time
Secondary Packet Format: Disabled (Use COM1)

Regards,
Paul
Check COM2 Baudrate on the GEM (under Adv), it generally runs at 19200. I wonder if the DashBox baudrates are displaying wrong.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
BigBadBuzz

Post by BigBadBuzz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm

I looked at the GEM via GEM Network Utility V8.01 - after pressing the "Get GEM Info" button, the Firmware tab shows the COM2 baud setting is 115200.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:42 pm

BigBadBuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm
I looked at the GEM via GEM Network Utility V8.01 - after pressing the "Get GEM Info" button, the Firmware tab shows the COM2 baud setting is 115200.
Strange. I don't think it's on the DashBox end then as "Unknown Device" just means it's getting something in but can't read the packet.

Is it possible the connections may have become loose over time? You can try swapping it back.

Does the GEM have a WiFi/Ethernet module?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.