trying to connect old GEM/Wifi only to new Dashbox via serial

Ask questions about the GEM here.
gusa1

trying to connect old GEM/Wifi only to new Dashbox via serial

Post by gusa1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:14 pm

I have an old GEM (Wifi Only) serial number 01000140. (2014ish) i recently purchased a Dashbox and a new GEM (serial only). I got everything configured and it was up and running fine. The GEM with the WIFI occasionally just disconnects from the Dashbox and i have to reboot everything to get it all working again. I would like to move the old wifi only GEM to a serial connection but i'm having two issues. I believe the old GEM is up to date with firmware, but i can't get into it now.

1) i cannot get into the GEM monitor via a browser, it just keeps timing out. I can't connect to it via the network utility. I know it's up and working because i'm getting data through the dashbox.
2) i connected the old GEM to the Dashbox (Com 2 on the wifi GEM, COM 2 on the dashbox, but that didn't work (Dashbox still saw the old GEM as a network connection, not a serial connection). I suspect i need to go into the GEM monitor and shut off wifi but i can't get into it.

the new GEM is working fine on com1 on the dashbox, and the old wifi Gem is currently working as well, i'm just getting tired of having to reboot the old wifi GEM periodically when there is a wifi snafu. (wifi issues seem to happen more and more frequently here, and not just on the GEM)

any help appreciated.
ben
Site Admin

Re: trying to connect old GEM/Wifi only to new Dashbox via serial

Post by ben » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:49 am

gusa1 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:14 pm
I have an old GEM (Wifi Only) serial number 01000140. (2014ish) i recently purchased a Dashbox and a new GEM (serial only). I got everything configured and it was up and running fine. The GEM with the WIFI occasionally just disconnects from the Dashbox and i have to reboot everything to get it all working again. I would like to move the old wifi only GEM to a serial connection but i'm having two issues. I believe the old GEM is up to date with firmware, but i can't get into it now.

1) i cannot get into the GEM monitor via a browser, it just keeps timing out. I can't connect to it via the network utility. I know it's up and working because i'm getting data through the dashbox.
2) i connected the old GEM to the Dashbox (Com 2 on the wifi GEM, COM 2 on the dashbox, but that didn't work (Dashbox still saw the old GEM as a network connection, not a serial connection). I suspect i need to go into the GEM monitor and shut off wifi but i can't get into it.

the new GEM is working fine on com1 on the dashbox, and the old wifi Gem is currently working as well, i'm just getting tired of having to reboot the old wifi GEM periodically when there is a wifi snafu. (wifi issues seem to happen more and more frequently here, and not just on the GEM)

any help appreciated.
First thing I'd suggest is checking the power supply on the old GEM versus the notice at https://www.brultech.com/contact in case you got an old supply that may cause you future headaches.

COM2 on the GEM typically runs at 19200, have you checked the baud settings on the DashBox? (under Settings->System->Change Baudrates). Unknown Device is indicative of this issue.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com