Unable to enter configure mode on the GEM

Ask questions about the GEM here.
photonwave

Unable to enter configure mode on the GEM

Post by photonwave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:37 am

Last night I set up my brand new GEM and Dashbox (woohoo!). Tonight, when I try to enter the configure mode, I'm unable to connect to the GEM. Using the Dashbox I can see that the GEM unit is talking to the Dashbox (data is being shown and the "Live" option works), however the "Port 8000" link on the Settings tab just times out. Same thing happens if I just try to navigate to the IP address (and I tried the IP-address:8000, still no luck).

If I use the GEM Network Utility, I can scan and find the GEM unit, but, once again, I'm unable to connect to it. I've been refreshing the page, restarting the browser, clearing my cookies, and still I can't access the GEM. My next try will be to reboot the GEM. Does anyone have any other ideas of something to try?
Don S.
ECM-1240, GEM, DashBox, 400 amp panel, solar
Mustang65

Re: Unable to enter configure mode on the GEM

Post by Mustang65 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:05 am

Welcome to the forum!

Try using port 80. Did you assign an IP address in your cable modem, so that it does not change?
Also, try 8001 or 8002 depending on which you used.
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin
photonwave

Post by photonwave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 am

Don (good name, by the way :^) ),

Same result when I use port 80 instead of 8000. It looks like my browser remaps port 80 to just the IP address. Also, I did manually assign a local IP address to both the dashbox and the GEM unit. Since the dashbox is happily collecting data from the GEM, I can use the Dashbox "Settings" page to confirm that I have the right IP address.

I'll try cycling the power on the GEM unit and see if that allows me to access the GEM configuration menu again.

The real problem I'm trying to solve is that my "main" shows fewer watts than several of my circuits, so clearly I've misconfigured something in the GEM.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (21.48 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Don S.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:53 am

photonwave wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:40 am
Don (good name, by the way :^) ),

Same result when I use port 80 instead of 8000. It looks like my browser remaps port 80 to just the IP address. Also, I did manually assign a local IP address to both the dashbox and the GEM unit. Since the dashbox is happily collecting data from the GEM, I can use the Dashbox "Settings" page to confirm that I have the right IP address.

I'll try cycling the power on the GEM unit and see if that allows me to access the GEM configuration menu again.

The real problem I'm trying to solve is that my "main" shows fewer watts than several of my circuits, so clearly I've misconfigured something in the GEM.
Don,

Looked up your order, looks like you got an Ethernet GEM.

Ethernet GEMs setup page is on Port 80. The issue may be that your idle time greater then your packet send interval. Idle Time basically tells the module if there's no activity in X seconds, close the connection. This allows for both Server and Client connections to work via Mixed mode. Idle Time is specified in the GEM Network Utility.

If your packet send interval is high-rate (every second for example) you'll have to toggle the Ethernet module into Server mode and set it up. If it's a lower rate (5+ seconds) try setting the Idle Time to 3 seconds.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
photonwave

Post by photonwave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Thanks Ben,

That did the trick! I used the GEM Network Utility and changed the Idle time from 8 to 3. After saving, I was able to access the configuration menu on the GEM. I did find two setup errors I made (assigned a M-40 as a Split-200), and I neglected to "POST" channels 25 -32 on the "Data Post" tab.

I'm still seeing circuit amps summing to a higher value than the panel amps, but at least I can see the few circuits that are an issue and now I can inspect to make sure the orientation is correct on them.
Don S.
photonwave

Post by photonwave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Okay, all fixed now. The panel Split 200s were installed with the same orientation. The electrician is here today (we're having some remodeling done), and he switched one of them around and now the data is looking good!

From the live view below, I see a small delta of a few watts (21 watts was the max) between the sum of the circuits and the sum of the panels. Am I correct in assuming that is a negligible delta?
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (16.19 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Don S.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:12 pm

photonwave wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:03 pm
Okay, all fixed now. The panel Split 200s were installed with the same orientation. The electrician is here today (we're having some remodeling done), and he switched one of them around and now the data is looking good!

From the live view below, I see a small delta of a few watts (21 watts was the max) between the sum of the circuits and the sum of the panels. Am I correct in assuming that is a negligible delta?

Capture1.PNG
Looks like it may be a little high, usually it can be calibrated down to 1% error. You can try calibrating your PT (at the outlet its plugged into) with a true rms multimeter if you have one.

Under Channel Option adjust the PT Type or raise or lower the voltage.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com