Mains total less than circuit total

Ask questions about the GEM here.
JPStokesSr

Mains total less than circuit total

Post by JPStokesSr » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:00 pm

UPDATE: So I'm looking around and find that wonderful post by Teken named "HOW TO FINE TUNE THE CT TYPE & CT RANGE". Now it's perfect - sorry for the post :oops:

Hi,

I've had my GEM and Dashbox installed for a while now and all is working well, except there's more power being reported on the circuit CTs than the sum of the two mains. The CTs are configured correctly (at least the model is right), and I checked a few of the circuits with a power meter and they match exactly (to the watt). Unfortunately, I don't have enough room where the main cables come in to put the power meter on one (I'd have to remove one of the main CTs, which wouldn't be easy - pretty tight in there).

Here are my settings:

Capture CT Settings.JPG
Capture CT Settings.JPG (98.86 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

Here is the live data:

Capture Live Data.JPG
Capture Live Data.JPG (122.38 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

Group 1 are the 2 mains, Group 2 are the circuits. You can see that there's 5063 watts on the circuits, but the mains only show 4267, and I already have the readings for the mains doubled. I know I can double them again by setting the range to 2, but then it's just the opposite problem - too much mains power and not enough circuits power.

All circuits have a CT on them, even most of the 240's. Some use two channels, some have both CTs tied to the same channel. All the baseboard electric heater breakers have only one CT, and the circuit is doubled. You can see that on channel 26. The rest of the heat circuits are on a 1240 that also reports to the Dashbox, but all the heats are off and reading zero (or 1 watt) now.

I know I'm missing something - Help :)

Joe