SWB Temp Probes not working

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Hikyuuri

SWB Temp Probes not working

Post by Hikyuuri » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:57 pm

My GEM is no longer reading the temp probe on the single wire bus. It is an older GEM-W model. I have made no changes to the physical setup. I did have to do a factory reset on the unit recently though, as somehow all the settings got corrupted. I replaced the CR2032 as it is the original battery to this unit, and I don't want to reconfigure it again if the cell dies in a year.

Any ideas on things I can try? The temperature probe is about 20 feet away, through some solid-core CAT6A Ethernet (using the Orange pair as +5v, the Blue pair as Gnd, and Green (single wire, not the pair) as the Data). Again, this is how it has been set up for years, and I have not had an issue until very recently. I do not know if it was working when I had to do the reset, as everything was reading very wrong (even settings in the web GUI had ASCII symbols and other anomalies in a bunch of the setting fields).

At this point, all 32 CT channels seem to be reading accurately. I have network connectivity to it using the integrated wireless.
Hikyuuri

Re: SWB Temp Probes not working

Post by Hikyuuri » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:01 pm

Something else I just discovered. I am trying to check my firmware version, and noticed that the Serial Number shown in the Web interface does not match the Serial Number on the sticker. Maybe something on the board itself failed?

Also, neither serial number allows me access to the firmware page. It is an older GEM, the serial number is under 800 (0000XXX).

Did my GEM die?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu May 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Hikyuuri wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:01 pm
Something else I just discovered. I am trying to check my firmware version, and noticed that the Serial Number shown in the Web interface does not match the Serial Number on the sticker. Maybe something on the board itself failed?

Also, neither serial number allows me access to the firmware page. It is an older GEM, the serial number is under 800 (0000XXX).

Did my GEM die?
Sounds like a bad power supply, check it versus the notice at http://www.brultech.com/contact.

You may have a reprogram the serial number. Send an email to ben(at)brultech.com and I'll get you the command to do so.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Hikyuuri

Post by Hikyuuri » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am

Sorry for the long delay,

I checked my adapter, and it was one of the old ones (pre 2016). I had replaced it with a different 5V 1A adapter I had around, and it got the CT stuff working but not the SWB.

I replaced the 5V 1A one with a 5V 2A USB adapter to test (and I load tested the adapter and cable with a USB tester I have, and it passed 1.9A at 4.9v, so should have plenty of power), but the SWB is still not reading properly.

Any other ideas for me to try? All of the ROM codes for the probes are showing 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-[last digit is anything from -06 to -E6], but when I go to Live Data, it shows "nc F" for all 8 temp probes. I only have one probe connected, and I have tried only enabling probe 1, and all 8 probes. Same result either way. I have also used the "Search, List, Save all sensors codes" option to try to discover the actual probe address, and the last digit of the ROM code changes each time, but no data shows up.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:18 am

Hikyuuri wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:43 am
Sorry for the long delay,

I checked my adapter, and it was one of the old ones (pre 2016). I had replaced it with a different 5V 1A adapter I had around, and it got the CT stuff working but not the SWB.

I replaced the 5V 1A one with a 5V 2A USB adapter to test (and I load tested the adapter and cable with a USB tester I have, and it passed 1.9A at 4.9v, so should have plenty of power), but the SWB is still not reading properly.

Any other ideas for me to try? All of the ROM codes for the probes are showing 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-[last digit is anything from -06 to -E6], but when I go to Live Data, it shows "nc F" for all 8 temp probes. I only have one probe connected, and I have tried only enabling probe 1, and all 8 probes. Same result either way. I have also used the "Search, List, Save all sensors codes" option to try to discover the actual probe address, and the last digit of the ROM code changes each time, but no data shows up.
Shouldn't just be the last digit. Is the probe connected directly or thru the cat5?

What COM F/W is the GEM running?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Hikyuuri

Post by Hikyuuri » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Through the CAT6, but its the only thing on the CAT6, and there are no connectors (CAT6 directly into the +5V, DATA, and Ground connections on the GEM, with the temp probe soldered to the other end of the CAT6 cable). The CAT6 is just being used as an extension basically, and it's less than 10 feet.

This used to work fine. I don't know when it stopped, or why it stopped. But, it used to work fine. I use the probe to monitor the air return temp in the Furnace to get an average inside the house temp reading.

It is running COM F/W 5.13 and ENG F/W 1.49.
Teken

Post by Teken » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:37 pm

Hikyuuri wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:43 pm
Through the CAT6, but its the only thing on the CAT6, and there are no connectors (CAT6 directly into the +5V, DATA, and Ground connections on the GEM, with the temp probe soldered to the other end of the CAT6 cable). The CAT6 is just being used as an extension basically, and it's less than 10 feet.

This used to work fine. I don't know when it stopped, or why it stopped. But, it used to work fine. I use the probe to monitor the air return temp in the Furnace to get an average inside the house temp reading.

If you have a spare (brand new) 1 wire sensor I would disconnect the existing system and add the new one into the GEM. If you're able to see and measure temperature with just one you know the GEM is fine.

From there remove the new sensor and try to add back just one (old) sensor keep doing so until the system errors out. As I have seen a single 1 wire sensor bring down my entire network in the past. :x
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Hikyuuri

Post by Hikyuuri » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:16 am

Teken wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:37 pm
Hikyuuri wrote:

If you have a spare (brand new) 1 wire sensor I would disconnect the existing system and add the new one into the GEM. If you're able to see and measure temperature with just one you know the GEM is fine.

From there remove the new sensor and try to add back just one (old) sensor keep doing so until the system errors out. As I have seen a single 1 wire sensor bring down my entire network in the past. :x
I don't have a spare temp probe, but I do have a second Green Eye monitoring a sub panel. I tried connecting the temp probe to that GEM, and I got the same result (no connection, no data). So, it does seem like the probe itself is bad.

I'll get some probes ordered and see what happens when they arrive.
Teken

Post by Teken » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:23 am

Hikyuuri wrote:
Teken wrote:
Hikyuuri wrote:

I don't have a spare temp probe, but I do have a second Green Eye monitoring a sub panel. I tried connecting the temp probe to that GEM, and I got the same result (no connection, no data). So, it does seem like the probe itself is bad.

Glad you were able to isolate and determine it was the 1 wire sensor and not the GEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:14 am

Hikyuuri wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:16 am
Teken wrote:
Hikyuuri wrote:

Just wanted to make sure you tried connecting it directly and not thru the CAT6 cable. If some noise was introduced on the line it could cause errors.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.