Spikes on Voltage and CTs, but not Pulses or Temp Sensors

Ask questions about the GEM here.
pikapfw1

Spikes on Voltage and CTs, but not Pulses or Temp Sensors

Post by pikapfw1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:43 am

Hello,

I've noticed some very odd behavior recently. I occasionally encounter periods of time where the voltage and CT channels all spike erratically.

I first started noticing this about a month ago when I set up a few alerts in the DashBox. We had a brownout one day, and I decided to create a voltage level alert to issue an email when the PT voltage drops below 115v or exceeds 130v. Typically it is around 124v in my home.

I've done a little analysis, and see that all channels spike, but not in unison. It appears to be more of a "period of disturbance" kind of thing, but I can't easily correlate the spikes with each other or pinpoint them to a single "event" causing the behavior. Also, it's only the PT and CT channels spiking - the pulse inputs and temperature sensor inputs are stable during this time.

I've attached an example from today. I received 20 email alerts from the DB when I woke up today. Some days I don't get any spikes at all.

In my attached .png, you'll see 3 signals: voltage, garbage disposal (it's the only thing on the circuit breaker, and it was never turned on during this time sample) & a radon fan (the only device on this circuit breaker is an always-on AC motor). All three of these signals should've been stable, but as you can see, they jump around quite a bit. Often times in unison, but not always.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?

My setup: GEM & DashBox from ~May 2013. Both powered off a UPS, and both connected via ethernet to a gigabit switch. The two communicate using the STS cable. Pulse inputs from gas & water meter sensors go to an arduino for manipulation before connecting to the pulse inputs on the GEM.

If it were a bad PT, I'd expect all 32 CTs to spike in unison. That's not happening.

If there was external interference or a bad power supply, I'd expect to see spikes on the pulse & temperature channels as well as the PTs & CTs. That's not happening either.

As I mentioned, this has been occurring off and on for about a month now.

I appreciate your help!

-Pete
Attachments
GEM DB Spikes 2019-10-25.png
GEM DB Spikes 2019-10-25.png (99.58 KiB) Viewed 5038 times
pikapfw1

Re: Spikes on Voltage and CTs, but not Pulses or Temp Sensor

Post by pikapfw1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:47 am

In case the screenshot doesn't provide enough resolution, here's the raw export of everything from the DashBox (attached)
Attachments
GEM_DB_Export_2019-10-25.csv
(309.23 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
pikapfw1

Post by pikapfw1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Nevermind, I figured it out today. Turns out to be another crappy 5V power supply. No-load, it's reading 5.178V. Plugged into the GEM (which draws approximately 0.26A), it was only putting out ~3V! Very strange that the GEM would even operate like that...

Switched it out with an old D-Link router supply, and it's back in business.

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time that one of those crappy 5V adapters has failed on either my GEM or DashBox. Such low quality....
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:27 am

pikapfw1 wrote:Nevermind, I figured it out today. Turns out to be another crappy 5V power supply. No-load, it's reading 5.178V. Plugged into the GEM (which draws approximately 0.26A), it was only putting out ~3V! Very strange that the GEM would even operate like that...

Switched it out with an old D-Link router supply, and it's back in business.

This is probably the 3rd or 4th time that one of those crappy 5V adapters has failed on either my GEM or DashBox. Such low quality....
We've changed suppliers since the 5V problems, sorry for the issues.

Check the GEM settings and make sure nothing is messed up. You can email me your status screen if you'd like to make sure all the settings are good (ben(at)brultech.com).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
pikapfw1

Post by pikapfw1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:27 am

Thanks, Ben.

What brand / supplier are you using now? I'm going to order two to have as spares on-hand in case my D-Link adapters fail. I have several old PC power supplies around I could use, but those are inefficient as all heck and just a tad overkill. I was thinking MeanWell is a good brand, but a little expensive.

Thanks again.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:45 am

pikapfw1 wrote:Thanks, Ben.

What brand / supplier are you using now? I'm going to order two to have as spares on-hand in case my D-Link adapters fail. I have several old PC power supplies around I could use, but those are inefficient as all heck and just a tad overkill. I was thinking MeanWell is a good brand, but a little expensive.

Thanks again.
The issue with the old supplies was they used poor quality capacitors. The new ones we've made sure they aren't using the same type. The supplier is an OEM so it's unlikely you'll find the same brand locally.

Any well-reviewed Amazon supply should be fine. You can also try talking with Tammy, let her know your supplies died and she should be able to work something out for you (sales(at)brultech.com).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com