whole house readings (amps and kw) make no sense

Ask questions about the GEM here.
scyto

whole house readings (amps and kw) make no sense

Post by scyto » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:19 pm

i had electricians rewire my GEM neatly, this was a couple of years ago
i took a break from all things energy for 'reasons'
but i just noticed that the readings for the whole house CTs (the two big ones) are seriously under reading.

for example the net of my individual CTs says today i have done about 40kwh but the whole house one is readin about 2kwh.

As i haven't touched the gem / dashbox in a while and i am a bit rusty, can someone suggest what i should check (for example could the two CTs on the two 120v lines be cancelling each other out if wired wrong) ? or did i set something wrong?
Attachments
dashbox issue.jpg
dashbox issue.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 9000 times
scyto

Re: whole house readings (amps and kw) make no sense

Post by scyto » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:49 pm

oops this has been an issue since Mon Aug 08 2016 eek - as i said 'reasons'
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 am

scyto wrote:oops this has been an issue since Mon Aug 08 2016 eek - as i said 'reasons'
Have you ever updated the GEM firmware? What COM F/W is it running?

Your CT and/or PT settings may have become corrupted at some point if running old firmware.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:52 pm

ben wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 am
scyto wrote:oops this has been an issue since Mon Aug 08 2016 eek - as i said 'reasons'

Your CT and/or PT settings may have become corrupted at some point if running old firmware.
When I posted this it was on the latest, i tried that before anything else and will update to whatever is the latest.
My suspicion is when the contractors put all the CT cables in the wall for me they may have rewired the two CTS around each of the the 120v supply in such a way they cancel each other out? Is that possible?

How should i reprogram the CTs - just check the settings in the UI?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:37 am

scyto wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:52 pm
ben wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 am

When I posted this it was on the latest, i tried that before anything else and will update to whatever is the latest.
My suspicion is when the contractors put all the CT cables in the wall for me they may have rewired the two CTS around each of the the 120v supply in such a way they cancel each other out? Is that possible?

How should i reprogram the CTs - just check the settings in the UI?
Check the settings in the UI, yeah.

You can try removing 1 set of leads of the main channel. If it goes up they're cancelling. If that's the issue it's an easy fix, just reverse the wires on the CT you removed and plug them back in.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:24 pm

yes one of the CTs leads were wrong way around so cancelled each other out. fixed!