Ethernet Only GEM, port 80 or 8000?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
crazydane

Ethernet Only GEM, port 80 or 8000?

Post by crazydane » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:50 pm

I added a 3rd GEM to my setup today that also has a pair of 1240's. Here's what I got:
GEM_1.PNG
GEM_1.PNG (33.2 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
Note how the "Shop GEM" has a "Port 8000 Link" for the monitor setup?

That link does not work since I have it setup to port 80 here:
GEM_2.PNG
GEM_2.PNG (56.11 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
Ever since I was finally able to get the GEM to be seen by the Dashbox, I can no longer connect to the GEM from the GEM Network Utility.

What steps do I need to take to get the "Port 8000 Link" working for setting up the new GEM?

Thanks
ben
Site Admin

Re: Ethernet Only GEM, port 80 or 8000?

Post by ben » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:21 am

crazydane wrote:I added a 3rd GEM to my setup today that also has a pair of 1240's. Here's what I got:

Note how the "Shop GEM" has a "Port 8000 Link" for the monitor setup?

That link does not work since I have it setup to port 80 here:

Ever since I was finally able to get the GEM to be seen by the Dashbox, I can no longer connect to the GEM from the GEM Network Utility.

What steps do I need to take to get the "Port 8000 Link" working for setting up the new GEM?

Thanks
Yeah, Port 80 is your port. Looks like the DashBox assumed the WiFi/Ethernet port.

HTTP Get has a minimum send interval of 5 seconds so decrease your idle time to 4 seconds (GEM Network Utility Ethernet tab). At 8 seconds the Ethernet module likely isn't timing it out to allow a connection to itself.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:30 am

The problem is that the GEM Network Utility is no longer able to connect to the GEM every since I got the Dashbox to "see" it.

The GEM Network Utility sees it after a scan:
GEM_3.PNG
GEM_3.PNG (61.64 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
I changed the Server IP to the computer on which I'm running GEM Network Utility and am able to connect, but I no longer see all the tabs (Network tab is missing for example). See above screenshot.

Also, is this what I want here:
GEM_4.PNG
GEM_4.PNG (22.02 KiB) Viewed 7081 times
Thanks
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:58 am

GEM_3.PNG
GEM_3.PNG (62.81 KiB) Viewed 7080 times
Change the setting the arrow is pointing at above to 4 then open a browser window to http://10.0.1.153/ (make sure it's in Mixed mode). I'll try to explain a bit more clearer.

The Client connection works when set to the Computer as the GEM packet will initialize this connection.

Mixed mode operates as follows:

- When a packet to sent to the Ethernet module, establish a connection with the Server IP.
- If Idle Time is set, close this connection after X seconds.

Here's where the issue comes into play, if the GEM is sending a packet every 5 seconds (for example) and the Idle Time is 8 seconds, the GEM is going to send a packet, establish the client connection. After 5 seconds, it sends another packet, which resets the 8 second timer. The connection is never closed which results in the issue you're having.

Lowering the Idle Time to 4 seconds will stop this from happening. The GEM will establish the connection, send the packet, then close after 4 seconds as there's no activity. If you have a connection open to the GEM, you'll have a 1 second window to connect.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Thanks for the explanation Ben. I changed the idle time from 8 to 4 seconds via the GEM Network Utility.

So I guess my next question is that in order to connect to the GEM directly from a browser, I have to change the Server IP in the GEM Network Utility away the the Dashbox IP. Then I can connect via a browser and enter configuration mode. But of course the Dashbox looses the connection until I change it back again to its IP.

That being the case, I'm having a hard time understanding how the "Port 8000 Link" would ever work from the Dashbox to configure the GEM?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:01 am

crazydane wrote:Thanks for the explanation Ben. I changed the idle time from 8 to 4 seconds via the GEM Network Utility.

So I guess my next question is that in order to connect to the GEM directly from a browser, I have to change the Server IP in the GEM Network Utility away the the Dashbox IP. Then I can connect via a browser and enter configuration mode. But of course the Dashbox looses the connection until I change it back again to its IP.
You shouldn't need to do that any more. Put the module into Mixed Mode and try http://10.0.1.153/. With the new Idle Time, it should support both a Server and Client connection now. If it doesn't, you can try reducing Idle Time further to 3 or 2.
crazydane wrote:That being the case, I'm having a hard time understanding how the "Port 8000 Link" would ever work from the Dashbox to configure the GEM?
Port 8000 is the default port for WiFi/Ethernet devices. If you change the "Local Port" to 8000 with the GEM Network Utility that link will work.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:47 am

Hi Ben,

Changing the Local Port to 8000 does not work.

The only way I'm able to connect to the GEM from a web browser, is to change the "Server IP" from that of the Dashbox, to the IP of the computer that my browser is on. I'm in "Mixed" mode already, but apparently that does not work for me.

Below are my current settings per the GEM Network Utility:
GEM_5.PNG
GEM_5.PNG (70.79 KiB) Viewed 7066 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 pm

crazydane wrote:Hi Ben,

Changing the Local Port to 8000 does not work.

The only way I'm able to connect to the GEM from a web browser, is to change the "Server IP" from that of the Dashbox, to the IP of the computer that my browser is on. I'm in "Mixed" mode already, but apparently that does not work for me.

Below are my current settings per the GEM Network Utility:
GEM_5.PNG
Can you attach a screenshot of the web browser window with the link you're using to access the GEM?

Did you try to reduce your idle time even lower? 3 or 2 for example?

EDIT: The connected box in the top-left shows "Connected". If that never changes to "Not connected", you won't be able to get a server connection thru (the Idle Time setting). You may need to change the Server IP back to the DashBox first in case your computer is keeping it open.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
crazydane

Post by crazydane » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi Ben,

Changing the Idle Time all the way down to 2 finally made it work. I still see the "Connected" status in the GEM Network Utility, but the Dashbox is connecting and I can enter the setup menu via the Dashbox link, or just go to the url directly in a browser.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 am

crazydane wrote:Hi Ben,

Changing the Idle Time all the way down to 2 finally made it work. I still see the "Connected" status in the GEM Network Utility, but the Dashbox is connecting and I can enter the setup menu via the Dashbox link, or just go to the url directly in a browser.
That's good to hear, 2 seconds should be fine.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.