GEM-WE in STA mode still broadcasting SSID

Ask questions about the GEM here.
Hikyuuri

GEM-WE in STA mode still broadcasting SSID

Post by Hikyuuri » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:04 am

Hello,

I have a GEM-WE that I use to monitor a subpanel in my house (Have an older GEM in the main panel also). I am having some trouble with the new GEM-WE though.

I have the GEM-WE set up for STA mode, and it is connected to my network (can ping it from other devices and access its interface). However, it is still broadcasting it's own SSID as if it was in AP mode. I need this to stop, as it is severely impacting my network.

I have tried upgrading the firmware, changing from STA to AP and back again, and resetting to factory and setting up from the ground up. I have even blanked out the Network Name (SSID) on the AP Settings page, but all this has done is changed the broadcasted SSID from Greeneye_XX to HT_AP0.

I know I can set the network to "hidden" and that will "fix" it as it won't appear on my network devices any more. However, this does not actually fix the problem, and the device will still be broadcasting its own network, just in a hidden format.

I am having network issues, and I have narrowed it down to the GEM-WE as the issue. Powering off the device fixes all of my connectivity issues (intermittent connectivity on the 2.4GHz band on whatever channel the GEM-WE is broadcasting on).

I need a solution that keeps the device in AP mode (connected to my actual wireless network), but does not broadcast its own SSID (hidden or otherwise). If such a solution cannot be found with this device model/generation, I will need to RMA this device for a newer unit that can disable the AP mode when in STA mode (my first GEM functions this way without issue, so I know it is possible). Using the device on an Ethernet cable is not an option due to location, so it must use wireless.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM-WE in STA mode still broadcasting SSID

Post by ben » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:57 am

Under Adv in the GEM Setup Webpage there's an AP Off option that should work with all newer GEMs below the "Caution" header.

It can take a couple tries for it to take, so if it doesn't work the first time try again.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Hikyuuri

Post by Hikyuuri » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 am

Will that just disable the AP functionality of the GEM, but still allow the internal wireless module to connect to my existing network, or does this fully disable the internal wireless module?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 am

Hikyuuri wrote:Will that just disable the AP functionality of the GEM, but still allow the internal wireless module to connect to my existing network, or does this fully disable the internal wireless module?
It should just disable the AP.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
Hikyuuri

Post by Hikyuuri » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Thank you! I just made the change today, and that seems to have fixed the issue. The GEM is no longer broadcasting its own SSID, but is still connected to my home WiFi.

I am going to monitor the network closely for the next few days and see if that clears up my main network connectivity issue.

Thank you again!