Varying voltage measured..

Ask questions about the GEM here.
vespaman

Varying voltage measured..

Post by vespaman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:37 am

Screenshot_20180725_183212.png
Screenshot_20180725_183212.png (30.02 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
Hi Ben,

I have two GEM, one is a couple of years old, and it has more or less always hung every 6 month or so, it is fully populated and also has some four, five one-wire temp sensors, so I suspect that it might be overloaded, hence the hangs. I have learned to live with this, I simply powers it off when I see that it stops reporting.

However, since maybe half a year, the voltage measurement is acting really strange - it starts to go down with about 30V, until I restart the unit, or pull the PT and re-insert it.
Now this is much more complicated to detect, since it goes down gradually, so I figure I should ask if this is something you have seen on any other units (maybe a cap or something similar is leaking or something along those lines?).
I'm a hardware developer myself, so I wouldn't mind fixing it in place, since it will take a lot of time to take away/re-install all the ct wires again. Both my GEM's are the black board three phase ones (I'm in Scandinavia)

Last night, just after mid night, it hung again, and I reset it in the morning, as you can see by the picture, also the voltage came back to its normal level (it is about two Volt under the other GEM, which has a better PT, maybe this is trimmable(?), but I haven't bothered with it). I only pulled the 5V power from the board, and re-inserted, did not touch the PT connetor or the PT it self, which on this old unit is a pluggable transformer. Volts are the blue lines.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Varying voltage measured..

Post by ben » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:11 pm

What COM/ENG firmwares are the GEM running?

Have you tried some rubbing alcohol on the PT plug to make sure it doesn't have any issues with contact?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
vespaman

Post by vespaman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Both of them are running 4.33/1.49.

No, I have not tried cleaning the contacts. I can do this tonight, but gut feeling is that it is not the problem. But for ruling out, I will have a go at it!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:00 pm

vespaman wrote:Both of them are running 4.33/1.49.

No, I have not tried cleaning the contacts. I can do this tonight, but gut feeling is that it is not the problem. But for ruling out, I will have a go at it!
Email me over the Status and Adv section of the GEM Setup Webpage and I'll take a look to see if there's anything weird there.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com