Super low voltage from PT

Ask questions about the GEM here.
skarsol

Super low voltage from PT

Post by skarsol » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I'm trying to set up my monitor and the line voltage is nowhere near 120v. It's typically .2 and sometimes 0. I've tried plugging it in to different outlets as well as cleaning and reseating the barrel plug. The CTs seem to be measuring amps, but show watts as 0. I've updated the firmware to the latest (4.33). I've tried a couple different PT values with no change (it's at 191 currently). Not sure what else to try.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Super low voltage from PT

Post by ben » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:41 am

skarsol wrote:I'm trying to set up my monitor and the line voltage is nowhere near 120v. It's typically .2 and sometimes 0. I've tried plugging it in to different outlets as well as cleaning and reseating the barrel plug. The CTs seem to be measuring amps, but show watts as 0. I've updated the firmware to the latest (4.33). I've tried a couple different PT values with no change (it's at 191 currently). Not sure what else to try.
The PT Type is 191, what's the PT Range on the unit (in the GEM Setup Webpage under Channel Option)? The range will double/half the voltage value, it should be either Range 3 or Range 4 (with/without jumper).

Did you ever have the PT plugged in halfway? That would create a short that could damage the PT supply.

Can you grab a picture or two of the PT jack so we can check for damage?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
skarsol

Post by skarsol » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:56 pm

It was installed by the electrician, so no clue if he had it halfway in or anything at some point. I tried to take some pictures at https://photos.app.goo.gl/YruXshRjL3p1v3kP7 but it's hard to get focus on small shiny things. I tried range at both 3 and 4 with no change.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 am

skarsol wrote:It was installed by the electrician, so no clue if he had it halfway in or anything at some point. I tried to take some pictures at https://photos.app.goo.gl/YruXshRjL3p1v3kP7 but it's hard to get focus on small shiny things. I tried range at both 3 and 4 with no change.
You should have a stereo jack barrel supply that came with the unit. That supply is a special AC/AC adapter that senses voltage from the wall outlet. Just plug it in, and you should be good to go.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
skarsol

Post by skarsol » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:59 pm

I know what a stereo jack looks like, but I'm not seeing any leftover parts that resemble one. Do you have a picture of it? Is it something I can easily get a replacement of?
GaryFunk

Post by GaryFunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:03 pm

skarsol wrote:I know what a stereo jack looks like, but I'm not seeing any leftover parts that resemble one. Do you have a picture of it? Is it something I can easily get a replacement of?
It's actually a 3.5mm tip and sleeve plug, AC to AC step down transformer. Image
skarsol

Post by skarsol » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:30 pm

Is that in addition to the power supply that power the unit?
GaryFunk

Post by GaryFunk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 pm

skarsol wrote:Is that in addition to the power supply that power the unit?
Yes. It plugs into the jack labeled PT INPUT.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:40 am

If you can't find it, send sales(at)brultech.com an email and Tammy can help you out with getting a replacement.

The packaging the GEM comes in should look like the bottom picture here if that helps at all:

http://brultech.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1732
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
skarsol

Post by skarsol » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:38 pm

I was able to find this and get it working. Thanks!