GEM Ethernet flaky, now dead

Ask questions about the GEM here.
baxter

GEM Ethernet flaky, now dead

Post by baxter » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:57 pm

The interface to the Ethernet (Wiznet) was getting less and less predictable, and now I can't connect at all.

I have a Dash box, and that is working great, but it's connected to serial.

All would be fine, except the Dash is seeing the GEM as a ECM-1240, which means it only sees the first seven channels and no temperature or pulse.

Is there a way to flush the GEM to factory defaults? I found something on this board where you take out the battery, but there's no battery that I could find; just a circle silkscreened on the circuit board.

I suppose I may have a bad Ethernet board, but I want to try to do a factory reset before calling for a replacement.
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Ethernet flaky, now dead

Post by ben » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 am

How old is the GEM? Is it possible it has the old-type power supply?

http://www.brultech.com/contact has more information on the difference between power supplies. If the power supply can't provide enough power, the Ethernet module will have issues like you're experiencing.

I emailed you about the DashBox question. Make sure you have it set to Bin-48-NET-Time if using the STS cable.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
baxter

Post by baxter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for emailing me, Ben. You said that I could connect to the GEM via the DashBox, and that's exactly what I did. I was able to change the encoding and now I'm getting all channels.

The Ethernet is still broken, but not an issue any more, but I will try to get a beefier power supply. The AC supply went out and I replaced that. Didn't know that there was a current problem with the DC supply.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm

baxter wrote:Thanks for emailing me, Ben. You said that I could connect to the GEM via the DashBox, and that's exactly what I did. I was able to change the encoding and now I'm getting all channels.

The Ethernet is still broken, but not an issue any more, but I will try to get a beefier power supply. The AC supply went out and I replaced that. Didn't know that there was a current problem with the DC supply.
What did you replace the AC supply with? The AC supply is specifically built to our spec. Swapping it out will throw off your voltage readings.

You'll have to re-calibrate the new supply by measuring voltage at the same outlet as the PT is plugged into. It sounds like it's likely within the 120V range since no problems were mentioned about it, so you'll likely just need to adjust the PT Type (fine-tune value, PT Range doubles/halves the value).
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:14 pm

Ben
I have had the same problem for a while. I can’t access my GEM via browser or the utility.
The utility can connect, but can’t get GEM info and I have similar results from the DB
Any suggestions ?.
...Barry
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 am

bgrubb1 wrote:Ben
I have had the same problem for a while. I can’t access my GEM via browser or the utility.
The utility can connect, but can’t get GEM info and I have similar results from the DB
Any suggestions ?.
...Barry
Is it still logging packets and is it connected via STS to the DashBox?
What COM port do you have the DashBox STS cable on if so?

If it's connected to COM1, and you have the Rx cable connected, this will cause collisions as both the Ethernet module and the STS cable will be trying to pull the port in different directions. The same can happen on COM2 if you have a Zigbee module.

I would try disconnecting the Rx cable if it is connected, and try talking to it via the Ethernet module again.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Ben
I didnt pop the cover off the GEM. But both my DB’s report com1 port 8001.
My nodelinc is getting reliable feed from port 8000
...Barry
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 am

bgrubb1 wrote:Ben
I didnt pop the cover off the GEM. But both my DB’s report com1 port 8001.
My nodelinc is getting reliable feed from port 8000
...Barry
The Rx conflict sounds likely. The nodelinc is getting a feed from an Ethernet or WiFi/Ethernet module I'm assuming?

If you don't have a Zigbee module:

Disconnect the Rx from the STS cables, and consider moving one of the two to COM2 (you'll have to change the baudrate on COM2 most likely). Connect the Tx/Rx/GND to COM2, you should be able to access the GEM Setup Webpage from that DashBox.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:41 pm

Ben
I took the cover off the GEM, two DB’s are fed by the tx line on com2, 1 DB connected to com2 Rx
No connections to com1
...Barry
bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:12 pm

I somehow managed to get in once and changed baud rates to 19.2k and all is good now
Sorry for the spin
...Barry