Lost Connectivity to GEM and GEM not sending data to DashBox

Ask questions about the GEM here.
JoeSoMD

Lost Connectivity to GEM and GEM not sending data to DashBox

Post by JoeSoMD » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:52 am

Hi Everybody... need advice...

Did my monthly data download from the DB and discovered that it had no data past 20 November (which to throw a wrench in is about the time that I changed out the DB wall wart to the DB - I made the change because I couldn't complete the last data download from the DB that I tried - now I can get in and out of the DB with ease.).

So I can get into the DB and download data. But no data since 20 November. And I can't get into the GEM via WiFi. (The GEM is the combo EthNet/WiFi version).

The GEM is connected to the DB with an STS cable.

I 'rebooted' the GEM with no change.

I guess I can 'reinstall' the GEM, but I'd like to avoid that because I'm not real network savvy.

Can you switched-on types outline a troubleshooting path forward for me?

One post I saw talked about the GEM power supply being a possible suspect - I thought the troublesome power supplies were only a DB problem. Is this a legit potential?

Thanks in advance. I love the GEM/DB products!!!

Joe Kubinec
Hollywood, MD
Teken

Re: Lost Connectivity to GEM and GEM not sending data to Das

Post by Teken » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Hello Joe,

How old is the DB and is it possible the Micro SD card is full? Older units came with a 8 GB and newer ones come with 16 GB. If we assume its not the card being full or gone bad can you confirm the following items.

- What firmware are you on? If not the latest please do update to ensure we are on the same page
- Status: The latest DB firmware offers a *Status* tab if its present what does it say?

- Settings -> System -> Admin Settings -> Data Logging = Enabled
- Settings -> System -> Raw Log = Is there data streaming in?
- Settings -> System -> Baud Rate = Ensure the baud rate matches between the two COM for both GEM & DB..

- Settings -> Energy Monitors = Does the DB show up and does it show (green check mark) active?

- Make sure your Packet Format is set to Bin-48-NET-Time on the GEM.
- Ensure you double check the STS cable is properly seated in the DB and wires are secured in the GEM.

RE: GEM PSU -> If the GEM is older its possible to be a bad power supply. But ensure you cross off all items on the top list before going down that path.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
JoeSoMD

Post by JoeSoMD » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Teken,

Thank you very much for your help. It was the 'first' thing you told me to check. For whatever reason, the 'enable data logging' was not set. My guess is that this setting got flipped when I replaced the power supply for the DB - I would not have changed this setting myself.

Once I made the change the data streaming began and the charts and graphs started to populate.

I'll look at the other issues you mentioned - making sure that the SW versions are the latest and greatest over the next few days.

I bought the DB in Dec 2015, but did not get around to fully integrating it until summer 2016. The DB has been recording data since then without a hitch, and I download the data in a .CSV format using the executable that Ben released on about a monthly basis. I back up the .CSV data that I download. I did not know that the SD card would get full - I assumed that early data would be over-written. Using Ben's GetSysInfo utility I get "Disk Space: 10.051 GB (458.6 days for 1 GEM)", but I don't know if this is disk space remaining or total available disk space.

Thank you again. I sincerely appreciate it!

Joe Kubinec
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:37 pm

JoeSoMD wrote:Teken,

Thank you very much for your help. It was the 'first' thing you told me to check. For whatever reason, the 'enable data logging' was not set. My guess is that this setting got flipped when I replaced the power supply for the DB - I would not have changed this setting myself.

Once I made the change the data streaming began and the charts and graphs started to populate.

I'll look at the other issues you mentioned - making sure that the SW versions are the latest and greatest over the next few days.

I bought the DB in Dec 2015, but did not get around to fully integrating it until summer 2016. The DB has been recording data since then without a hitch, and I download the data in a .CSV format using the executable that Ben released on about a monthly basis. I back up the .CSV data that I download. I did not know that the SD card would get full - I assumed that early data would be over-written. Using Ben's GetSysInfo utility I get "Disk Space: 10.051 GB (458.6 days for 1 GEM)", but I don't know if this is disk space remaining or total available disk space.

Thank you again. I sincerely appreciate it!

Joe Kubinec
Hello Joe,

That's great to hear please do note earlier version of DB firmware had a odd bug where the data logging option would turn off. The latest firmware resolves this issue moving forward so no worries there.

Also note there is a new method to back up the DB please ensure you use this method also. Which will ensure you have a method to restore the system should the Micro SD ever fail. There are only two basic steps to follow and that is to go to: Settings -> System -> Backup Settings.

Once there you will enter a password for the system to use.

Next you need only download the backup program here: https://www.brultech.com/software/files/getsoft/1/4

Download the Database Back up program 1.2

Once you unzip the file to a new folder on your desktop or where ever you like it to reside. You need only launch the Java application and enter the required information to begin the back up process. Please kindly note there are two option box's you should leave unselected the first time and that is:

- Added exclude Old Minute table option (this is only for customers with data before May 2015).
- Added exclude System Tables option.

Doing the first back up with these box's unchecked will allow you to create a solid image if and when required. Once that is done you can select exclude old minutes to save time because that data will be on the first copy you made and it will save a huge amount of time too.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:22 am

Let us know if the backup program crashes at all. Given your install date, if the F/W is up-to-date, it's likely just the date bug.

You can also temporarily unplug your DashBox and do a disk-level backup (instructions here) so you have a copy of your MicroSD card:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com