4.22 to 4.33 Fimrware Update Failure

Ask questions about the GEM here.
scyto

4.22 to 4.33 Fimrware Update Failure

Post by scyto » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:08 pm

I updated firmware 4.22 to 4.33 - the upload seemed to go just fine (it got to 100%) i did it over the dashbox:80001 interface (to stop me running into the updating over ethernet issue)

Now on reboot i get:

"Requesting GEM Serial Number..." and then pops up a box saying "Refresh error 2 0 // Response data = // Data Length = 0" and "FAIL # 2" (the former in a popup window, and the latter in the status window).

I tried pulling the battery, and power, that didn't help.

The only lights lit are the com lights, the sustem lights are out (they come on, but go off when the com light goes on)

Alex
scyto

Re: 4.22 to 4.33 Fimrware Update Failure

Post by scyto » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 pm

Ok, i got the recovery mode light on finally. I had to pull the battery completely to get F7 Recovery Mode to light the light - however i get recovery mode timeout error! after 0.1% upload.

I tried pulling the ethernet cable and only using the AP on 1.2.3.4 and i get same issue - 222 / timeout error.

Note the GEM network utitlity discovers the GEM just fine and sees port 80 and 8000.
I can connect to the port 80 uart config for the wifi / ethernet card.

I am stumped at this point...

--edit-- ok i forgot i had to chnage the UART baud rate in the uart settings, this time it started uploading but failed at 47% like it used to, ok off to try wifi only.

--edit 2--
i connected via wifi only and it failed at 26%

---edit 3--
this is only way could get it to work:
1) set baud to 19200 in dashbox
2) point the GEM network utility to dashbox:8001
3) perform firmware update - got to 100% and said completed succesfully, rebooted
4) change baud to 115200 in dashbox to get it reporting back on greem

Ben this ethernet/wifi card is just funky, i didn't have same issue as io_guy as my ethernet is set to 100 on my switch.

Are all these cards like this or do i just have something that is faulty and we should switch out to a v2? This is a pain re-learning this once a year :-(

alex
ben
Site Admin

Re: 4.22 to 4.33 Fimrware Update Failure

Post by ben » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 am

I've changed the patch notes to 4.33 as it's not that important unless you're experiencing issues with Pulse or Temperature sensors.
scyto wrote:Ok, i got the recovery mode light on finally. I had to pull the battery completely to get F7 Recovery Mode to light the light - however i get recovery mode timeout error! after 0.1% upload.

I tried pulling the ethernet cable and only using the AP on 1.2.3.4 and i get same issue - 222 / timeout error.

Note the GEM network utitlity discovers the GEM just fine and sees port 80 and 8000.
I can connect to the port 80 uart config for the wifi / ethernet card.

I am stumped at this point...

--edit-- ok i forgot i had to chnage the UART baud rate in the uart settings, this time it started uploading but failed at 47% like it used to, ok off to try wifi only.

--edit 2--
i connected via wifi only and it failed at 26%
As you discovered, the older boards Recovery mode only works at 19200. We'll see about putting together a firmware update manual with these notes.

Were you using Port 8000 to program the firmware on the WiFi/Ethernet module and dropped the baud rate?
scyto wrote: ---edit 3--
this is only way could get it to work:
1) set baud to 19200 in dashbox
2) point the GEM network utility to dashbox:8001
3) perform firmware update - got to 100% and said completed succesfully, rebooted
4) change baud to 115200 in dashbox to get it reporting back on greem

Ben this ethernet/wifi card is just funky, i didn't have same issue as io_guy as my ethernet is set to 100 on my switch.

Are all these cards like this or do i just have something that is faulty and we should switch out to a v2? This is a pain re-learning this once a year :-(
I wouldn't bother switching it out, especially since you have the DashBox hooked up to a COM port.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com