Problems updating old GEM-W firmware — have I bricked it?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
eric.allman

Problems updating old GEM-W firmware — have I bricked it?

Post by eric.allman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 pm

I recently got a DashBox to augment my existing GEM (of a certain age, as in early 2013), and I found that a firmware upgrade seems to be essential (well, duh). I was running COM 1.70, ENG 1.40, and I tried updating COM to 4.33. It appeared to work fine, but now I can't do much of anything.

Using the GEM Utility 7.4 I was apparently able to update to GEM_C_Firmware_4.33_.fmw successfully. But now it doesn't do much of anything; in particular, "Get GEM Info" gets to "Requesting GEM Serial Number..." and then pops up a box saying "Refresh error 2 0 // Response data = // Data Length = 0" and "FAIL # 2" (the former in a popup window, and the latter in the status window).

I've tried booting in recovery mode, retrying the firmware upload, and several other things to no avail. Unfortunately many of the pointers in this forum go directly to a 404 page, and (probably due to age) much of the advice doesn't seem to be relevant anymore. In any case, I haven't been able to find any post that seems to have failed in exactly the same place.

If it helps, my S/N is 01000295.

Any ideas?

eric
ben
Site Admin

Re: Problems updating old GEM-W firmware — have I bricked it

Post by ben » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:10 pm

COM 1.70 was very fussy.

You need to remove the battery (push it at the back with something plastic), unplug the unit, wait around 10 seconds, then plug it back in.

- If the LED is green at this point, try to read settings again.
- If you can't read settings, try toggling your baud to 115200 (or 19200 if already 115200).

- If the LED is red, unplug the unit, wait about 10 seconds, hold down the button and plug it back in.
- Drop the baud to 19200 on the comm. module.
- Try programming the firmware.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Also if you get the COM updated, you'll have to update the ENG next. The ENG can only be updated at 19200. Make sure you drop the baud rate as it may go to 115200 after updating the COM firmware.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
eric.allman

Post by eric.allman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks Ben, I have gotten the firmware updated (both COM and ENG). My next problem is trying to get the GEM and the DashBox to communicate. I think it may have something to do with having the GEM previously set up for SmartEnergyGroups, but I haven't had a lot of time to investigate yet. I'm wondering if a factory reset might not be in order.

eric
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:18 am

eric.allman wrote:Thanks Ben, I have gotten the firmware updated (both COM and ENG). My next problem is trying to get the GEM and the DashBox to communicate. I think it may have something to do with having the GEM previously set up for SmartEnergyGroups, but I haven't had a lot of time to investigate yet. I'm wondering if a factory reset might not be in order.

eric
Did you have to use the battery method? If not, do it anyway. There's a flag in memory that has to be cleared or the GEM could lock up. You may also want to test and/or swap in a new battery, you can get them at a dollar store (CR2032).

Make sure your baud rates are set to 115200 on the interface you use the GEM Setup Webpage, you'll have much better performance with that baud.

Check the CT, Channel Option, and Temperature (if using) pages for weird values. If you see anything out of place there then I would suggest factory reset. If not, you should be OK.

Under Adv, check these values and update where appropriate.

Packet Chunk Size: 2047
Counter de-bounce: 6000
COM1/2 Flow Control: Disable
Live Data Refresh Rate: 3
Current Constant: 222

Are you using the STS cable or are you going to be sending over the network?

STS Cable:
- Change primary (or secondary) packet format to Bin-48-NET-Time.
- If on COM2, either increase baud to 115200 or drop baud on DashBox to 19200.

Network:
- Change primary packet format to HTTP Get.
- Under the Data Post tab, set to DashBox/Standalone Dashboard.
- Enter DashBox IP as Host and Save.
- Under Network, switch the IP Address to the DashBox IP and Port 80.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
eric.allman

Post by eric.allman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:32 pm

ben wrote:Did you have to use the battery method? If not, do it anyway. There's a flag in memory that has to be cleared or the GEM could lock up. You may also want to test and/or swap in a new battery, you can get them at a dollar store (CR2032).
Yes, I did remove the battery (and tested it — it's showing good).
ben wrote:Make sure your baud rates are set to 115200 on the interface you use the GEM Setup Webpage, you'll have much better performance with that baud.
Yes, I did that too.
ben wrote:Check the CT, Channel Option, and Temperature (if using) pages for weird values. If you see anything out of place there then I would suggest factory reset. If not, you should be OK.
As near as I can tell these all look reasonable.
ben wrote:Under Adv, check these values and update where appropriate.

Packet Chunk Size: 2047
Counter de-bounce: 6000
COM1/2 Flow Control: Disable
Live Data Refresh Rate: 3
These were all as you specified except for Live Data Refresh Rate, which was 255. I changed this but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
ben wrote:Are you using the STS cable or are you going to be sending over the network?

STS Cable:
- Change primary (or secondary) packet format to Bin-48-NET-Time.
- If on COM2, either increase baud to 115200 or drop baud on DashBox to 19200.
I've got the STS cable hooked up and the parameters are correct.
ben wrote:Network:
- Change primary packet format to HTTP Get.
- Under the Data Post tab, set to DashBox/Standalone Dashboard.
- Enter DashBox IP as Host and Save.
- Under Network, switch the IP Address to the DashBox IP and Port 80.
OK, here it gets a bit weird. According to the "Network" tab: "This GreenEye Monitor does not have a network module installed. If a network connection is required, you may purchase an optional Wifi/Ethernet module or external "EtherPort" device." However, I can connected to the GEM, either by a direct connection on port 80 or through the DashBox on port 8001 (same results).

At this point the Status page shows:

Code: Select all

Serial#: 01000295
COM firmware ver: 4.33
ENG firmware ver: 1.49
RealTime Status: OFF
Packet Send Interval: 60
Pri. Packet Format: 4
Sec. Packet Format: 4
Sys Status: OK

Wifi/Ethernet Module: Enabled
GEM Ver: Single or Polyphase
PCB Ver: 2
BootLoader Ver: 1
COM1 Flow: OFF
COM2 Flow: OFF
Sys Info: 00100001 OK
Sys Flags: 00000000 OK

Keep Alive String:""
COM1 Baud: 115200
COM2 Baud: 115200
Phase Setting: Single Phase
Freq: 60Hz
Hardware Configuration: 129
But the dashbox still doesn't see anything reporting, and its home page shows a "Status (!) Err" tab at the top (between "Dashboards" and "Settings"). Clicking on that doesn't change anything.

I would have guessed a bad STS cable, but the fact that port 8001 works on the DashBox implies to me that the serial connection is good. I tried disconnecting the ethernet cable from the GEM (so now it's only accessible through the DashBox) and there is no change.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:24 pm

eric.allman wrote:These were all as you specified except for Live Data Refresh Rate, which was 255. I changed this but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
It only affects the Live Data webpage. It would refresh every 255 seconds at 255.

eric.allman wrote:OK, here it gets a bit weird. According to the "Network" tab: "This GreenEye Monitor does not have a network module installed. If a network connection is required, you may purchase an optional Wifi/Ethernet module or external "EtherPort" device." However, I can connected to the GEM, either by a direct connection on port 80 or through the DashBox on port 8001 (same results).
Ahh, given the age of the unit the WiFi/Ethernet module has to be controlled through its web interface (on Port 80 of the GEM). Application Settings is what you would use to set the TCP connection.
eric.allman wrote: At this point the Status page shows:

Code: Select all

Serial#: 01000295
COM firmware ver: 4.33
ENG firmware ver: 1.49
RealTime Status: OFF
Packet Send Interval: 60
Pri. Packet Format: 4
Sec. Packet Format: 4
Sys Status: OK

But the dashbox still doesn't see anything reporting, and its home page shows a "Status (!) Err" tab at the top (between "Dashboards" and "Settings").  Clicking on that doesn't change anything.
[/quote]

Under Packet Send:

Set RealTime to On.  --- This is the main issue here.
Set Packet Send Interval to 5.
Set Secondary Packet Format to disabled if they're both sending the same thing.

[quote="eric.allman"]I would have guessed a bad STS cable, but the fact that port 8001 works on the DashBox implies to me that the serial connection is good.  I tried disconnecting the ethernet cable from the GEM (so now it's only accessible through the DashBox) and there is no change.[/quote]

Yeah, the STS cable works as long as Port 8001 works.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
eric.allman

Post by eric.allman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:58 pm

I was never able to find "Application Settings", but your other advice seems to have done the trick. I'm sure I'll have other questions about configuring the DashBox, but at this point I have data flowing, which is the critical thing for now. Thanks!

eric