Multiple (4) type A CTs

Ask questions about the GEM here.
piperpilot

Multiple (4) type A CTs

Post by piperpilot » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

I have all of my CTs installed and getting ready to start making hookups. I have 2 breaker panels with separate feeds from the main power line, so I needed 4 type A CTs. I read the section on page 6 of the GEM Quickstart about combining multiple CTs. I understand that they need to be installed in serial...easy enough...but then there is a note about "Line1 and Line2" CTs facing different directions...mine are already installed and I don't want to have to switch them. I assume I can just reverse the wiring?

I also am planning on combining a few of my branch circuits that are typeB CTs. I see the same note about having them reversed...I guess its the same thing?

Any guidance would help here...I'm trying to take the hookup slow so it is good data and reliable.

Curtis
ben
Site Admin

Re: Multiple (4) type A CTs

Post by ben » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 am

piperpilot wrote:I have all of my CTs installed and getting ready to start making hookups. I have 2 breaker panels with separate feeds from the main power line, so I needed 4 type A CTs. I read the section on page 6 of the GEM Quickstart about combining multiple CTs. I understand that they need to be installed in serial...easy enough...but then there is a note about "Line1 and Line2" CTs facing different directions...mine are already installed and I don't want to have to switch them. I assume I can just reverse the wiring?

I also am planning on combining a few of my branch circuits that are typeB CTs. I see the same note about having them reversed...I guess its the same thing?

Any guidance would help here...I'm trying to take the hookup slow so it is good data and reliable.

Curtis
Yeah, you can reverse the wiring.

With the branch circuits, a panel will alternate phases per breaker slot. If they're on the same phase, you don't have to reverse. If they aren't, you have to. Type B are installed in parallel.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com