Can't turn off GEM wi-fi

Ask questions about the GEM here.
peppersass

Can't turn off GEM wi-fi

Post by peppersass » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:25 am

In the thread http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... =29&t=1576 Ben says it's now possible to turn off wi-fi from the GEM Setup Adv menu.

I'd love to turn off wi-fi to prevent devices from accidentally connecting to the AP, which happens periodically and causes frustration for the non-technical people in the house.

But all I see in the Adv menu is a couple of buttons labelled "AP on" and "AP off", with no status indicating whether the AP is currently on or off. And these buttons seem to have no effect whatsoever. They don't turn the wi-fi on and off, and they don't turn the AP on or off (yes, i waited the recommended 8 seconds before returning to the ADV menu -- and longer.)

Are these buttons the way to turn off wi-fi? If so, why don't they work? If they're not the right buttons, how do I turn off wi-fi? I understand the issues and what to do if my Ethernet interface fails.

Running ENG 1.49 and COM 4.33.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Can't turn off GEM wi-fi

Post by ben » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

On your WiFi/Ethernet modules webpage, what version does it state under Device Management?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
peppersass

Post by peppersass » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:03 am

"WiFi/Ethernet modules webpage"?

I don't see a page with that name in either of the GEM network interfaces.

Under the Status menu in the Setup interface I see this:

Hardware Configuration: 182
XBee Module
WiFi and Ethernet V2

In the AP interface under Device Management, I see this:

4.02.10.C1224.01

Does that help?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:16 am

peppersass wrote: In the AP interface under Device Management, I see this:

4.02.10.C1224.01

Does that help?
That's the one. That's the latest firmware for the module.

The port 80 webpage is controlled directly by the WiFi/Ethernet module. Think of the module as a completely separate device. The GEM pushes it packets via serial, and it sends the packets out.

I'll check with Paul about the AP commands on the GEM. For some reason it sounds like the GEM can't send that command to the module currently.

For now, to avoid frustration for the non-technical people, I suggest doing the following:

- Go to AP Interface Setting.
- Change Network Name(SSID) to something random
- Checkmark Hidden.
- Change Security Mode to WPA2-PSK
- Enter some random pass phrase.
- Click Apply
- Go to Device Management.
- Click Restart.

You can go one step further by removing the antenna from the GEM to severely limit its range.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
peppersass

Post by peppersass » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Aha! I hadn't noticed the Hidden checkbox. That's all I really need. As long as the network name is hidden, why change the name and add secure login?

I had already tried removing the antenna. It worked, but I was concerned that people close to the GEM might still see the network name. Hopefully the transmitter has a power foldback feature when the antenna presents high SWR!
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:51 pm

peppersass wrote:Aha! I hadn't noticed the Hidden checkbox. That's all I really need. As long as the network name is hidden, why change the name and add secure login?

I had already tried removing the antenna. It worked, but I was concerned that people close to the GEM might still see the network name. Hopefully the transmitter has a power foldback feature when the antenna presents high SWR!
Securing is personal preference, I'd do it just because I'm paranoid and am in close proximity to neighbours.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
Teken

Post by Teken » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:56 pm

ben wrote:
peppersass wrote:Aha! I hadn't noticed the Hidden checkbox. That's all I really need. As long as the network name is hidden, why change the name and add secure login?

Securing is personal preference, I'd do it just because I'm paranoid and am in close proximity to neighbours.
You paranoid? Nah you don't say?!?!? :mrgreen: :lol:
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10