GEM Network Utility drops connection - can't update firmware

Ask questions about the GEM here.
peppersass

GEM Network Utility drops connection - can't update firmware

Post by peppersass » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 pm

Hi,

For several years I've had no problem updating firmware on my GEM. Now when I try to update to the latest firmware, the GEM Network Utility (v7.4 running in administrator mode) successfully connects but then drops the connection after a few seconds. If I try to get the serial number, it gets an error, presumably a timeout.

Also, when I do a Search in the Network tab I get and error "Refresh Arp Error 10048 Address in use". But after I hit OK, it refreshes the ARP table and finds all the ports on the GEM and Dashbox. One odd thing is that it shows the wrong address for the gateway. It shows 333.168.0.2 when the actual gateway address is 192.168.0.2.

Finally, I'm able to access the Setup interface over the LAN and even remotely via port forwarding, and I can also access the admin interface via port 80 on the LAN or by connecting to the GreenEye_xx WiFi.

I should mention that I just installed a new router (pfSense on a mini PC), but everything else seems to work fine, including accessing the GEM outside the GEM Network Utility.

I'm stumped. Can anyone help?
Teken

Re: GEM Network Utility drops connection - can't update firm

Post by Teken » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello,

Please review this thread and see if any of the suggestions help: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... =29&t=1576
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
peppersass

Post by peppersass » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:04 am

I think that's a different problem from mine.

On a whim I decided to try updating the GEM firmware from a different PC and it worked as usual with no problems at all. Also, when I scan the network for Brultech boxes it gets the Gateway address right, unlike the other PC.

The good news is that I can update firmware and there doesn't seem to be any problem doing so via my new network router. Nothing wrong with the GEM or the network.

But I'm baffled as to why the GEM Network Utility now fails on the other PC, where it worked before. It's also on the same network and runs the same version of Windows as the PC that does work. Reinstalling the GEM Network Utility didn't correct the problem. However, I didn't uninstall the old version first, so maybe I'll try that and see if reinstalling fixes the problem.

I did run into an issue with the wi-fi, but I'll do another post on that one because it's a different subject.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:38 am

peppersass wrote:For several years I've had no problem updating firmware on my GEM. Now when I try to update to the latest firmware, the GEM Network Utility (v7.4 running in administrator mode) successfully connects but then drops the connection after a few seconds. If I try to get the serial number, it gets an error, presumably a timeout.
Can you make sure you weren't trying to connect to Port 80 on the GEM on that PC? That's typically where I see this issue.
peppersass wrote:Also, when I do a Search in the Network tab I get and error "Refresh Arp Error 10048 Address in use". But after I hit OK, it refreshes the ARP table and finds all the ports on the GEM and Dashbox. One odd thing is that it shows the wrong address for the gateway. It shows 333.168.0.2 when the actual gateway address is 192.168.0.2.
Address in use means it's trying to bind a port but that port is being used by another program. Paul said he gets this issue once in awhile but it should work on a 2nd scan. Can you try scanning twice?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
peppersass

Post by peppersass » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Thanks. I'll see if I can find another process using port 80. Might take some digging. Will get back to you on that.