GEM Installation

Ask questions about the GEM here.
resposito

GEM Installation

Post by resposito » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Hello,

I am new here and I have a question.
I would like to purchase a GEM for my home, but I want an electrician to do the install.

I am having trouble finding any electrician that has any experience installing GEM...or even knows what I am talking about when I tell them I want to install an energy monitor.

I live in Tarpon Springs FL 34688...can anyone recommend an electrician in the area that I can hire to do the install...I am also hoping they can provide some guidance on what exactly I need to purchase?

Thanks,
Rafaele
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM Installation

Post by ben » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

resposito wrote:Hello,

I am new here and I have a question.
I would like to purchase a GEM for my home, but I want an electrician to do the install.

I am having trouble finding any electrician that has any experience installing GEM...or even knows what I am talking about when I tell them I want to install an energy monitor.

I live in Tarpon Springs FL 34688...can anyone recommend an electrician in the area that I can hire to do the install...I am also hoping they can provide some guidance on what exactly I need to purchase?

Thanks,
Rafaele
Rafaele,

Are you able to run Ethernet to your panel, and how many circuits are you looking to monitor? Your best bet for a single GEM system would likely be our System 2 bundle with donut CTs (http://www.brultech.com/bundle2/) and adding on any additional CTs you need.

Installation should be do-able by any electrician. We have a manual that explains the process and there's a few videos on YouTube of other systems being installed. It's just important to note what breaker and CT type is going to what channel so when you're setting it up, you can put that information in there.

Our CTs are all low voltage so they aren't harmful. Once the leads leave the panel, you're safe.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
resposito

Post by resposito » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Thanks for the reply...

I am able to run ethernet to my panel(s).
I have two panels and I was planning on purchasing two greeneye's and a dashbox.
I have not counted yet, but I think I will need around 40 - 50 CT's.

I have one more question....
Let's say I flip the main breaker and cut off power to the panel...this means that the only wires in the panel that are hot are the two mains? I guess what I am getting at, is I have reviewed the installation instructions and watched the videos and it seems like I could attempt this myself as long as I shut off the power? For some reason I thought the panel was always hot, but if I can switch the main breaker off and I don't see why I could not wrap a CT around each wire and then re-attach the wire to the breaker...it seems pretty simple and also would not be dangerous as long as the power is off? I guess the only dangerous part would be clamping the two split CT's to the main since that is always hot...am I missing anything here?
sub3marathonman

Post by sub3marathonman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 pm

resposito wrote:

I live in Tarpon Springs FL 34688..

Thanks,
Rafaele
Wow, I'm not that far away in Bartow. I probably could help you out on a weekend if absolutely necessary or you ran into a problem, but I don't think you will.

I too was in your situation, not really wanting to work on the panel. But it can be done, if you're careful and plan everything out. Teken has an excellent presentation of his entire installation, where he shows working on the main panel. There are many other photos here in the forum too from people who've installed it.

Basically, as you've noted, you must turn off the main breaker. After that it is just a matter of logistics, making sure you run the correct CT on the correct circuit, and make sure the CT lead is identifiable, so it can be installed into the GEM in the desired location.

There are also "split-core" CTs, which you install without even removing the wire from the breaker. They are much more expensive however. I purchased several of these to use so I wouldn't have to remove several of the highest amperage wires. I probably would spend the extra money again, if for no other reason just to save a disconnect/reconnect of the wire in the breaker.

For lower amperage circuits, it really isn't difficult at all to unscrew the hold-down and remove the wire, they are much smaller than the high amperage circuits.

For all circuits, it is very important to tighten the wire back down correctly. I'm thinking Teken had an inch-lb torque wrench, and I tried with it too but instead I practiced with screws into wood and then went by feel. You can also tell when you're loosening the wire how much torque there should be, although I did find one circuit which wasn't really tightened correctly. So that was actually another benefit of installing the GEM.

It is a great system, I think everybody who purchases one is happy. Brultech and everybody there are great to work with. Ben from Brultech, Teken and others here on the forum are also very helpful. It is really a matter of deciding to do it, and once you're doing it you find that you really can do this.
resposito

Post by resposito » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply...I think I am just going to spend the money and use the split CT's...this way I will not have to mess with the wiring at all...just clamp them on.

Going to cost a small fortune, but should make my installation pretty simple.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:08 am

resposito wrote:Thanks for the reply...I think I am just going to spend the money and use the split CT's...this way I will not have to mess with the wiring at all...just clamp them on.

Going to cost a small fortune, but should make my installation pretty simple.
Rafaele,

I just saw your order in the store. Contact sales@brultech.com (I'll ask Tammy to contact you also), we can do much better then that.

I would suggest a System 2 with Split-Core CTs:

http://www.brultech.com/bundle2/

And additional Split-30s for your circuits under 30A, additional Split-60s for your 60A circuits.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com