standalone dashboard questions

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ecosang

standalone dashboard questions

Post by ecosang » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:38 am

Hello,

I installed one GEM (WiFi) with 2 Spilt 200 CT and 19 M50 for all sub-circuits. (see attached fig0.jpg). In the same local network, I installed one desktop and standalone dashboard (XAMPP) to collect data. I have several questions regarding the stand alone dashboard software.

1. For 5 days minutes data, I've noticed a few missing data (fig1.png). Do you have any opinions why it happened? When I saw the data, the "kwh" is large after missing period, so I suspected there was a problem in standalone dashboard. However, in the manual, it is written that the GEM sends cumulative "wattseconds", so the missing part might be attributed to the WiFi connection loss. Another thought is that I joined the local desktop via Teamviewer software, so my frequent use of local desktop may distract XAMPP server (the desktop computer is not very good).

2. In the fig0, I am monitoring all circuits. However, when I looked at the collected data on mysql database, there is slight difference between the sum of all circuits and main circuit electricity (fig2png, red line is sum of all circuits, green line is main circuit electricity). I used wattsecond data because there might be truncation error in kwh data. In the graph, the red line looks higher than green line, but it is not always. In the graph, the red line is 3-5% higher than green line. The sum of "wattseconds" is very similar for the 5 days. (By the way, I calculated differentials of wattsecond) Do you have any ideas why it happened?
(a) sensor uncertainty (but it looks like there is a certain pattern)
(b) some power loss between main circuit and sub-circuits
(c) measurement error: power is instantaneous and measurement is discrete. There will be inevitable measurement error.

3. How the wattsecond is calculated?
I know wattsecond is cumulative value (and I made the graph by calculating the delta increases).
I am not sure how the GEM calculates the wattsecond. Since power is continuous data, so there will be some uncaptured power usage in GEM. Am I right?

4. Standalone dash board on AWS (Amazon cloud).
Currently, the GEM sends data to local desktop (something like 192.168.0.18:80). Can I use public IP address instead of the local network? In other words, is it possible to send packet directly to the AWS instance which has public ip address (and XAMPP is installed in the AWS instance).

Sorry for many questions and my little knowledge on this issue.
I appreciate your answer.!

Thanks
Attachments
fig0.jpg
fig0.jpg (179.83 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
fig1.png
fig1.png (358.64 KiB) Viewed 1569 times
fig2.png
fig2.png (102.8 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
ben
Site Admin

Re: standalone dashboard questions

Post by ben » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:20 pm

ecosang wrote:1. For 5 days minutes data, I've noticed a few missing data (fig1.png). Do you have any opinions why it happened? When I saw the data, the "kwh" is large after missing period, so I suspected there was a problem in standalone dashboard. However, in the manual, it is written that the GEM sends cumulative "wattseconds", so the missing part might be attributed to the WiFi connection loss. Another thought is that I joined the local desktop via Teamviewer software, so my frequent use of local desktop may distract XAMPP server (the desktop computer is not very good).
Can you post your GEMs Adv setting page? Check to make sure Flow Control and Auto Reset is disabled.
ecosang wrote:2. In the fig0, I am monitoring all circuits. However, when I looked at the collected data on mysql database, there is slight difference between the sum of all circuits and main circuit electricity (fig2png, red line is sum of all circuits, green line is main circuit electricity). I used wattsecond data because there might be truncation error in kwh data. In the graph, the red line looks higher than green line, but it is not always. In the graph, the red line is 3-5% higher than green line. The sum of "wattseconds" is very similar for the 5 days. (By the way, I calculated differentials of wattsecond) Do you have any ideas why it happened?
(a) sensor uncertainty (but it looks like there is a certain pattern)
(b) some power loss between main circuit and sub-circuits
(c) measurement error: power is instantaneous and measurement is discrete. There will be inevitable measurement error.
You're dealing with the error of all channels vs the error of 1 channel. The Micro-CTs are typically around 1.5% accuracy (1% if you use the Micro-50s). The Split-CTs are 1% accurate across the board and your main panel is typically going to sit right in the "sweet spot".
ecosang wrote: 3. How the wattsecond is calculated?
I know wattsecond is cumulative value (and I made the graph by calculating the delta increases).
I am not sure how the GEM calculates the wattsecond. Since power is continuous data, so there will be some uncaptured power usage in GEM. Am I right?
The GEM has 1 wattsecond accuracy (0.000000277 kWh) so if anything is lost it'll be a -very- tiny amount. It samples at the following rate:

Voltage sampling @ 20.8 kHz
Current sampling @ 10.4 kHz
ecosang wrote:4. Standalone dash board on AWS (Amazon cloud).
Currently, the GEM sends data to local desktop (something like 192.168.0.18:80). Can I use public IP address instead of the local network? In other words, is it possible to send packet directly to the AWS instance which has public ip address (and XAMPP is installed in the AWS instance).
Yeah, that shouldn't be an issue. You would just use the public ip address in place.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
ecosang

Post by ecosang » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:55 pm

Thank you so much Ben.!
Here is the adv page.
I enabled COM1 Flow.
When I initialize stand alone dashboard, I did
(1) connect GEM
(2) start XAMPP server
(3) Connect a monitor under settings page
(4) wait until the GEM is detected.
In the (4) process, sometimes the GEM was not detected, so I thought it might be better to enable the COM1 Flow. Do I need to disable this?
Thanks
Attachments
adv.png
adv.png (200.34 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 pm

ecosang wrote:Thank you so much Ben.!
Here is the adv page.
I enabled COM1 Flow.
When I initialize stand alone dashboard, I did
(1) connect GEM
(2) start XAMPP server
(3) Connect a monitor under settings page
(4) wait until the GEM is detected.
In the (4) process, sometimes the GEM was not detected, so I thought it might be better to enable the COM1 Flow. Do I need to disable this?
Thanks
You want COM1 Flow disabled. That can cause downtime due to it thinking the COM port is locked.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com