Wifi/Ethernet V2 fails to connect Ethernet after storm

Ask questions about the GEM here.
shortwh

Wifi/Ethernet V2 fails to connect Ethernet after storm

Post by shortwh » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:41 pm

So we had a quick little storm that knocked out the power for 3hours. When the GEM powered back on it wasn't sending data to the server. I started investigating and I have AP mode Wifi working and STA mode Wifi working to my sever so the data is back to being logged but Ethernet which has worked fine for 1.5yrs will not stay linked. I tried resetting the Wifi/Ethernet v2 module (hold button on module for 6 sec) then with Enet connected power cycle the GEM. The Ethernet link LED on switch just turns on for a couple of seconds then off. The time on and off gets longer after a minute but never registers with the DHCP server and will not stay linked. I tried to use a static the IP and never see packets or hold link that way either. I have tried multiple switches manageable and not all with the same results.

Have you ever heard of this type of problem before?
Can I buy a replacement for the Wifi/Ethernet V2 module from Brultech?
Is there a magic software fix for this problem?
Thanks,
Bill
ben
Site Admin

Re: Wifi/Ethernet V2 fails to connect Ethernet after storm

Post by ben » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:51 pm

shortwh wrote:So we had a quick little storm that knocked out the power for 3hours. When the GEM powered back on it wasn't sending data to the server. I started investigating and I have AP mode Wifi working and STA mode Wifi working to my sever so the data is back to being logged but Ethernet which has worked fine for 1.5yrs will not stay linked. I tried resetting the Wifi/Ethernet v2 module (hold button on module for 6 sec) then with Enet connected power cycle the GEM. The Ethernet link LED on switch just turns on for a couple of seconds then off. The time on and off gets longer after a minute but never registers with the DHCP server and will not stay linked. I tried to use a static the IP and never see packets or hold link that way either. I have tried multiple switches manageable and not all with the same results.

Have you ever heard of this type of problem before?
Can I buy a replacement for the Wifi/Ethernet V2 module from Brultech?
Is there a magic software fix for this problem?
Thanks,
Bill
Bill,

Under Device Management on the WiFi/Ethernet module there should be a listed F/W number there. Can you report back the number?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 pm

4.02.10.C1224.01

I think this is what you want
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:55 am

shortwh wrote:4.02.10.C1224.01

I think this is what you want
Yeah, that's the number.

Try the following:

- Set the WiFi/Ethernet module to AP mode.
- Under AP Interface Settings, change the LAN IP to 1.2.3.4
- Under STA Interface Settings, leave the top blank, but enter a static IP for your network at the bottom.

What should happen is the Ethernet connection should take on the settings in the STA Interface Settings while in AP mode. It's important to change the AP IP Setting to make sure it doesn't interfere with the LAN connection.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:49 am

GEM failed to be able to ping, load Comm website, or send data to server with the recommended settings. I attached to the AP wireless interface and put the settings back. Is there a way to purchase another Wifi/Ethernet V2 module?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:38 am

shortwh wrote:GEM failed to be able to ping, load Comm website, or send data to server with the recommended settings. I attached to the AP wireless interface and put the settings back. Is there a way to purchase another Wifi/Ethernet V2 module?
Can you make sure you're not using a CAT6 cable and aren't connected to a gigabit port? We've had issues with those in the past.

Have you tried a different port on your router?

What COM firmware are you running?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:41 am

Latest 4.33 COM
Yes, I have always had CAT6 and all Gigabit switches. I tried a dumb unmanageable switch but it was also gigabit. I did try to force the switch port to 100BT Full Duplex and no change. I'll try 10BT as that switches the Ethernet from analog multilevel signaling to single level digital signaling which can be scoped for debug but I probably will not do that first because now I am noticing other problems. The reported voltage level has dropped from 122v on a 125v actual signal to 107v on a 125v level. I may have other issues then just the Ethernet. Last time I had strangeness like this it was the power supply so I will try another one of those also. These poor quality 5v cell phone charger power supplies give me much grief. I'll probably try scoping the AC voltage power supply as well to make sure that it hasn't failed. I'll keep you in the loop but it will take me several days to have the extra time to work all this out.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 am

shortwh wrote:Latest 4.33 COM
Yes, I have always had CAT6 and all Gigabit switches. I tried a dumb unmanageable switch but it was also gigabit. I did try to force the switch port to 100BT Full Duplex and no change. I'll try 10BT as that switches the Ethernet from analog multilevel signaling to single level digital signaling which can be scoped for debug but I probably will not do that first because now I am noticing other problems. The reported voltage level has dropped from 122v on a 125v actual signal to 107v on a 125v level. I may have other issues then just the Ethernet. Last time I had strangeness like this it was the power supply so I will try another one of those also. These poor quality 5v cell phone charger power supplies give me much grief. I'll probably try scoping the AC voltage power supply as well to make sure that it hasn't failed. I'll keep you in the loop but it will take me several days to have the extra time to work all this out.
Given the behavior of the Link LED on the Ethernet switch (on/off), checking the power supplies might be the issue as it almost seems like it's resetting.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 am

1. Tried another Power Supply and nothing changed voltage good on both
2. Tried 10BT Full and Half Duplex and 100BT Full and Half Duplex; nothing changed
3. Reconnected the PT transformer and voltage went to corrected value of 125V
4. I have noticed one more thing though. On the System LED, I believe before it was Green->Red->Green every 20s which is the transmit time. Now I am seeing Green->Red->Green->Off->Red->Green (Repeated every 20s)

I don't understand if I am just misremembering or what but I am sure that isn't what the System LED was doing before. Also in the middle of all this I jumped from COM 4.0 to 4.33 so maybe that was part of the COM change???

Comm LED is Green and Orange both solid (When connected to Wireless. Ethernet it just stays Orange and never transmits a packet.)

I am out of ideas at this point.
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 am

What color is the board black or blue? Also how old is the GEM? Sounds more like the PT connector is loose on the PCB. If you haven't done so can you try to clean out both the tip of the PT radio jack and the barrel connector.

Lastly can you confirm the jack is well soldered in place and no cold solder joints are present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10