Wifi/Ethernet V2 fails to connect Ethernet after storm

Ask questions about the GEM here.
ben
Site Admin

Re: Wifi/Ethernet V2 fails to connect Ethernet after storm

Post by ben » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 am

Connect with the GEM Network Utility and click the Get GEM Info button. Make sure your Hardware Option is set to WiFi/Ethernet V2.

EDIT: Made a mistake, Green/Red/Off sounds like it's trying to find something, Green/Red/Orange on the COM LED would have been the WiFi-only module.

EDIT2: You can also try Recovery Mode to see if the GEM is resetting the module. Do this by unplugging the GEM, holding down the button at the bottom of the unit, then plugging it back in and releasing. The Sys LED should be solid red. This will stop the GEM from affecting the WiFi/Ethernet module.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:32 am

Board is blue
Pt jack nearly fell off on first connection so i would say it is loose and has cold joints. It has been working so i didn't want to pull it down.

Ben, i emailed a short video of LEDs during transmit cycle.
Teken

Post by Teken » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 am

shortwh wrote:Board is blue
Pt jack nearly fell off on first connection so i would say it is loose and has cold joints. It has been working so i didn't want to pull it down.

If the actual barrel jack is not soldered down properly and loose it will need to be repaired. As the voltage reading will fluctuate and throw the global readings off from time to time. The other issues may not be related to the loose PT barrel so continue the trouble shooting with Ben.
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:27 pm

shortwh wrote:Board is blue

When you get a chance to try the Recovery Mode suggestion, let us know what happens. Feel free to email me or Paul (brultech(at)gmail.com). Paul usually checks his email over the weekend.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Ok, so to get Ethernet to Link and stay stable was to lock the port to 100M or 10M. The auto negotiation needed to be disabled when I have never had that problem before. But ok.

Then I tried the Recovery mode boot and the COM module still could link but I could not get packets to transfer on the Ethernet. Wireless still worked ok in Recovery mode. Power supply has been measured while in operation and is stable at 5.24-5.25V. Even if the COM module has been damaged I don't understand why the SYS LED is blinking differently. I will email Ben a PDF of all the configuration pages from my COM and ENG modules. Maybe he will see something that is wrong.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:27 am

shortwh wrote:Ok, so to get Ethernet to Link and stay stable was to lock the port to 100M or 10M. The auto negotiation needed to be disabled when I have never had that problem before. But ok.

Then I tried the Recovery mode boot and the COM module still could link but I could not get packets to transfer on the Ethernet. Wireless still worked ok in Recovery mode. Power supply has been measured while in operation and is stable at 5.24-5.25V. Even if the COM module has been damaged I don't understand why the SYS LED is blinking differently. I will email Ben a PDF of all the configuration pages from my COM and ENG modules. Maybe he will see something that is wrong.
Recovery Mode stops all activity from the GEM so you wouldn't be able to get activity. It's in an endless loop waiting for firmware at that point.

I'll take a look at the PDF to see if there's anything I can see there.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:11 am

Well, I have been running off wireless only since the last post. 3days ago the LED for COM has went out and the Ethernet and wireless are now dead. I'll pull the GEM out of service and disassemble to figure out what has failed.

If it is just the Wifi/Ethernet module can I just replace with www.hi-flying.com HF-A111 module? Do I need to flash with firmware for GEM?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:33 pm

shortwh wrote:Well, I have been running off wireless only since the last post. 3days ago the LED for COM has went out and the Ethernet and wireless are now dead. I'll pull the GEM out of service and disassemble to figure out what has failed.

If it is just the Wifi/Ethernet module can I just replace with http://www.hi-flying.com HF-A111 module? Do I need to flash with firmware for GEM?
Have you tried a different power supply since the LED has been out? We had issues similar to this when the power supply couldn't give stable voltage on boot.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
shortwh

Post by shortwh » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Yes. The power supply had a blown capacitor. Fixed the power supply and the GEM works on wireless again but RJ45 still doesn't work.
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am

shortwh wrote:Yes. The power supply had a blown capacitor. Fixed the power supply and the GEM works on wireless again but RJ45 still doesn't work.
What are your settings like on the module? The RJ45 doesn't have LEDs to show that it's active. If the WiFi is active, it should use the Ethernet module like a router. You can try plugging it into a PC and see if the PC gets a connection.

While WiFi is active, the Ethernet settings are under the AP mode settings. If the GEM is in AP mode, the Ethernet is controlled by the STA Interface Settings.
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.