GEM stuck in AP mode?

Ask questions about the GEM here.
jeremyamoore

GEM stuck in AP mode?

Post by jeremyamoore » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:06 am

I have my GEM talking just fine to my dashbox over serial. I do not seem to be able to get the WiFi of the GEM out of AP mode and into Station mode so it is not acting as an access point (GreenEye_38). I get to the setup screens just fine and configure the station mode wifi network that is sees, but after a reboot the AP is still being broadcast. The radio button does say it is in station mode. Anything else I should be doing?
ben
Site Admin

Re: GEM stuck in AP mode?

Post by ben » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 am

jeremyamoore wrote:I have my GEM talking just fine to my dashbox over serial. I do not seem to be able to get the WiFi of the GEM out of AP mode and into Station mode so it is not acting as an access point (GreenEye_38). I get to the setup screens just fine and configure the station mode wifi network that is sees, but after a reboot the AP is still being broadcast. The radio button does say it is in station mode. Anything else I should be doing?
Can you access the GEM over the network when this happens?

I'm wondering if it's failing to connect to the network. If it is, it could be a range issue with the router. Can you take a cellphone or laptop and see if you get a signal from the AP by your router?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jeremyamoore

Post by jeremyamoore » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 pm

I don't think it is a range issue as I can connect to the GEM WiFi network from just about anywhere and I used to have the router/AP with 5 feet. I have updated to a newer WiFi AP and still have the issue. I even setup a new temp wireless network that was open (no security) and it still does not want to connect. Is there way to just disable the WiFi so it at least is not on? Does plugging in the ethernet change anything in how it might act?
ben
Site Admin

Post by ben » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:36 am

jeremyamoore wrote:I don't think it is a range issue as I can connect to the GEM WiFi network from just about anywhere and I used to have the router/AP with 5 feet. I have updated to a newer WiFi AP and still have the issue. I even setup a new temp wireless network that was open (no security) and it still does not want to connect. Is there way to just disable the WiFi so it at least is not on? Does plugging in the ethernet change anything in how it might act?
In the GEM Setup Webpage under Adv, there's a way to toggle off the WiFi connection.

Did you try the secure network with AES instead of TKIP?
Ben
Brultech Research Inc.
E: ben(at)brultech.com
jeremyamoore

Post by jeremyamoore » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Turning off the AP on the Adv tab seems to do the trick. Thanks.

Yes, I tried AES and TKIP along with setting up a temp wireless network with no security. None of those settings seemed to work. I try to hardwire everything anyway, but like the option of wireless if needed. Access through the DashBox seems pretty stable anyway.

I have recently moved from Apple AirPort wireless to Ubiquiti access points to move to 802.11AC (but still have the b/g/n/a networks available). I don't know if that makes any difference. I did not get it working on the AirPort network, but did not try the troubleshooting either.