GreenEye Monitor (GEM) PRE-Installation and Setup Questions

Ask questions about the GEM here.
bmwilson55

Re: GreenEye Monitor (GEM) PRE-Installation and Setup Questi

Post by bmwilson55 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:45 pm

NetworkGuy, were you able to implement the single GEM module connected up to your 2 separate panels? I assume 1 module can connect to 2 different panels but wanted to make sure. I want to monitor the mains on both panels using a single GEM. Thanks,
NetworkGuy

Post by NetworkGuy » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 pm

bmwilson55 wrote:NetworkGuy, were you able to implement the single GEM module connected up to your 2 separate panels? I assume 1 module can connect to 2 different panels but wanted to make sure. I want to monitor the mains on both panels using a single GEM. Thanks,
Unfortunately not yet. However I did run two conduits from a single box to each of my two panels, so I'm ready to run the CTs whenever I get a GEM to install.
Mustang65

Post by Mustang65 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Dave,
Teken pretty much gave you a lot of good information on the monitoring of your electrical and his "I need a LIFE" dedication to his SMART home project. Smile Teken!! I am slowly building my system, which will NEVER compare to Teken's, but it does keep me busy.

One thing that you may want to add to the GEM and DashBox is a product by Universal-Devices called the ISY994xx. It is a home/building automation and energy management system. Teken recommended this to me late last year and I am really enjoying these systems. The GEM/DataBox will communicate to the ISY and with the ISY you can select the usage from each of the sensors and send them to the ISY, easily create a quick program and set alerts (text). You can turn on your lights, fans, water your garden, monitor your security, temperature's sent to ISY from the GEM.

Together these products are unbeatable. You can see my install/updates on my webpage at http://www.how-to-doit.com/.

Don
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin
NetworkGuy

Post by NetworkGuy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Mustang65 wrote:Dave,
Teken pretty much gave you a lot of good information on the monitoring of your electrical and his "I need a LIFE" dedication to his SMART home project. Smile Teken!! I am slowly building my system, which will NEVER compare to Teken's, but it does keep me busy.

One thing that you may want to add to the GEM and DashBox is a product by Universal-Devices called the ISY994xx. It is a home/building automation and energy management system. Teken recommended this to me late last year and I am really enjoying these systems. The GEM/DataBox will communicate to the ISY and with the ISY you can select the usage from each of the sensors and send them to the ISY, easily create a quick program and set alerts (text). You can turn on your lights, fans, water your garden, monitor your security, temperature's sent to ISY from the GEM.

Together these products are unbeatable. You can see my install/updates on my webpage at http://www.how-to-doit.com/.

Don
Hi Don, thanks for the information. It's funny, but I recognize your project from past searches regarding Brultech. I appreciate the ISY tool reference as well. Right now I use HomeSeer Z-Wave for home and light automation, though it has much more available, and Brultech is available to integrate as well (once I get and install one). I don't know much at all about ISY, but will read up on it to learn more.
Mustang65

Post by Mustang65 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 am

Teken,
I saw that you were using "White Beanies" on your wire connections. We used those back in the early 70's at the phone company... until we started having issues with the connections going bad over a period of time. We converted from the beanies to "gel filled ScotchLok" connectors and never had an issue after that. Living down here in Florida, you can imagine what would have happened if I had used the white beanies on my sensors. Which reminds me, it is time to order a box of them.
Attachments
delete gel scotchlok.jpg
delete gel scotchlok.jpg (144.87 KiB) Viewed 2335 times
delete gem beanies.jpg
delete gem beanies.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
Don

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I may remember. Involve me and I will understand.
Benjamin Franklin
Teken

Post by Teken » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Mustang65 wrote:Teken,
I saw that you were using "White Beanies" on your wire connections. We used those back in the early 70's at the phone company... until we started having issues with the connections going bad over a period of time. We converted from the beanies to "gel filled ScotchLok" connectors and never had an issue after that. Living down here in Florida, you can imagine what would have happened if I had used the white beanies on my sensors. Which reminds me, it is time to order a box of them.
Agreed, the gel filled ones offer better long term reliability in adverse environmental conditions. For my use case the standard ones worked just fine since the bulk of them are located inside a dry location.

Having twisted the solid 23 AWG CAT6A cable several times the beanie is simply used to insulate the exposed wiring.

Wiring topology, length, gauge, regulated voltage, shielding, all play a key role in a reliable 1-Wire network. My 5th (32 channel) 1-Wire network is currently on the drawing board which I hope to have semi deployed this winter to monitor some network infrastructure.

Very eager to read what you and others have been up to!! I have about nine projects I need to put pen to paper and update my projects thread.

Some great updates and more insight on new hardware endeavors underway for late 2018 early 2019!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teken . . .

My ongoing projects thread: http://www.brultech.com/community/viewt ... ?f=2&t=929
Buy me a cup of coffee: https://www.paypal.me/Teken https://gfinotify.com/ Discount Code: PC10
Mustang65

Post by Mustang65 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 pm

Teken wrote:
Mustang65 wrote:Teken,

Very eager to read what you and others have been up to!! I have about nine projects I need to put pen to paper and update my projects thread.

Some great updates and more insight on new hardware endeavors underway for late 2018 early 2019!!
Hopefully I will be updating my "Project" thread at the end of this week as I am installing something bigger and better.. never satisfied
Don

Benjamin Franklin